Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Hey Devo, What fan are you replacing the stove exhaust with? Report back and let us know how quiet it is. Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle
Hey Devo, What fan are you replacing the stove exhaust with? Report back and let us know how quiet it is. Jamie
Me too! I'd like to know that as well.

Devo also in terms of the fridge, I think you and I have the same one and in the dead of summer...hot, humid, etc, my fridge worked great...real cold inside.

Based on the possible recall of these fridges you and I have, I'd be reluctant to modify the fridge in any way, if in fact our units are under the same recall for a possible fire hazard due to a leak developing in a weakened weld due to an oversized heater coil being used.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #23
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Recall

HMMM...I did not know anything about a recall.Where would I be able to source out things like this to find out what items need to be fixed?If mine does have to be recalled I am going to get them to pull that RCA wire and run thru the wall while they have it out.

The fan I am going to try and use are the ones from eastluna.It seems they have the lower dbi's so I will be trying those.As for the fridge.You know when you look into the outside compartment and see the wood box that is in front of it.I figured I would angle the fans towards the fridges workings to get the full effect on them and it would force the air out the top.I am also going to try and fit a piece of aluminum on there so it can be removable if it has to be worked on also.I dont want the fans to be attached or near the louvered hatch because I would like them to last as much as possible without getting water when washing it and rain when it is pouring.Once I get these items and try to do something I will post.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
HMMM...I did not know anything about a recall.Where would I be able to source out things like this to find out what items need to be fixed?If mine does have to be recalled I am going to get them to pull that RCA wire and run thru the wall while they have it out.

The fan I am going to try and use are the ones from eastluna.It seems they have the lower dbi's so I will be trying those.As for the fridge.You know when you look into the outside compartment and see the wood box that is in front of it.I figured I would angle the fans towards the fridges workings to get the full effect on them and it would force the air out the top.I am also going to try and fit a piece of aluminum on there so it can be removable if it has to be worked on also.I dont want the fans to be attached or near the louvered hatch because I would like them to last as much as possible without getting water when washing it and rain when it is pouring.Once I get these items and try to do something I will post.
The cooling kit I manufacture is quieter and superior than the factory fan, plus if you got the double side vent, you don't have to remove the refer to install. The whole kit is less than the 50 some dollars one fan mentioned in this thread costs. I'm not busting on anybody's modifications, but just letting people know there is a kit available if they want it.
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Alamitos , California
Nice Price!

Thanks RV_cool,
I will definately look into this when I get our new AS 16' Bambi!
Thanks for the link,
Best regards,
Don
LifeguardTwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Reno , Nevada
Many Thanks

This thread is great! I just completed the install of the dual fan system with the DPDT switch shown in the image above. It works great, very quite even in parallel mode and the cooling seems quick. One quick question, I setup the fans to blow air over the condenser not pull air from it. Is there any reason why it would be better to pull air over it instead of blowing it accross it? It seems much cooler now but just curious. Anyway, thanks to all for helping me get a noise free evening in the trailer.
Cheers,
Doug
DandB^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Remember that hot air rises. The air you a sucking in from the top vent is blowing down over the coils. The air is heating up and wants to go where the fans are. Seriously consider have the fans blow out of the upper frig vent.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #28
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
alternative fan

I used a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D (Scythe USA Inc.) replacement fan. At 8.7dBa and $15 a pop I think it's an excellent alternative.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #29

2004 19' International CCD
Lakewood , Colorado
Fan thermostat

Your fix seems like a great idea. I have an '04 CCD International Bambi and have had all the same complaints about noise, battery rundown, and continuous running regardless of temp. So I thought the first thing I might try would be to replace the fan and the thermostat (thermocoupler?). Unfortunately, I misplaced the thermo part, and have no idea what it is or where to get a new/better one. The fan isn't the issue, I have found many options for quieter fans.

Can somebody help me identify the part I'm talking about?? It is a two-pronged ceramic unit the size of about a nickle that switches the fan on at high temps and shuts it off when cooled. BTW, Jackson City couldn't help (!!!??!!).

Thanks,
Lee
leejirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Question Some Technical Questions

The Scythe fan that 5cats recommends is a 120mm, 33.5 CFM, 8.7 dBA fan. The Silenx 120mm fans range from 46 CFM, 11 dBA to 90 CFM, 14 dBA. Do we know what CFM is required to keep the refrigerators cooling properly?

These fans come with a 3-wire connector, red, yellow, black. I’m assuming we only connect the red and black wires. What is the yellow wire for?

Somewhere I saw a chart that says what’s the lowest dBA number we can hear. Does anyone know what that is?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The refrigerator fan noise of our 2002 19' Bambi drove us nuts shortly after we bought it. We were fortunate enough to get a super-quiet Italian dual-fan unit which is very much like the two-fan setups in this thread. Our unit has its own two-level thermal switch and an interior control which we usually leave on automatic. The lower temperature level of the thermal switch runs the fans at lower speed and the upper level at full speed. The fans blow out through the access door louvers. Even at full speed, the fans are very quiet. The picture shows the fans, which simply replace the Airstream single fan without much modification other than a simple bracket. Also shown is the original thermal switch on the refrigerator. We kept it in the circuit in order to make sure the fans went on when the refrigerator said so.

Now the real point of this. With this simple setup, the fans run almost only at the low speed, indicating that two fans aligned with the cooling coil give very adequate cooling. The higher speed kicks in very seldom even in quite warm weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi Refr. Fans.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	37550  
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #32
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey
The Scythe fan that 5cats recommends is a 120mm, 33.5 CFM, 8.7 dBA fan. The Silenx 120mm fans range from 46 CFM, 11 dBA to 90 CFM, 14 dBA. Do we know what CFM is required to keep the refrigerators cooling properly?

These fans come with a 3-wire connector, red, yellow, black. I’m assuming we only connect the red and black wires. What is the yellow wire for?

Somewhere I saw a chart that says what’s the lowest dBA number we can hear. Does anyone know what that is?

Randy
Hi Randy, my thoughts go this way:

I don't think you need a hurricane force wind to achieve effective cooling here. To my mind the law of diminishing returns comes into play soon after inducing only a little air movement through the cooling fins.

I only installed one of two ordered fans because it was quick and easy to just use the existing mount/setup, at a cost of approximately $15. I figure that if I find the cooling insufficient, I'll add the second fan along with a DPDT switch so I can select one or both. Or possibly use the two-level thermostatic switch for automated single v. dual mode. Of course, I'll then have to fashion a new mounting setup...

In practice the single exhaust fan produces an easily discernible region of warmer air around the louvered vent. So it's certainly working, but I still need additional hot weather testing.

Three wires: the third is a sense wire, indicating rpm. In this context I can't use it: *snip*

My understanding regarding dBA:
This refers to decibels as related to the “A-weighted” scale. The A-weighted
scale parallels the sensitivity of the human ear and uses the lowest audible sound that the human ear can detect as the reference point for determining the decibel level of a noise. I.e., zero dBA is inaudible, while 8.9 dBA should be audible, to some at least.

Sure hope this babble makes sense to someone

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #33
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A.
The picture shows the fans, which simply replace the Airstream single fan without much modification other than a simple bracket. Also shown is the original thermal switch on the refrigerator. We kept it in the circuit in order to make sure the fans went on when the refrigerator said so.
I really like that fan control panel...to me my 2007 model looks like dumbed down wire nut in comparison!

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
What Fan Noise?

Hi, what fan noise? I have read about the refrigerator fan noises and had no idea what you were talking about. That is because I don't have any fans on my refrigerator. According to this thread, mine is vented and the smaller trailers aren't, thus needing a fan. For those of you who upgraded your fans, Good Job. Still interesting even though it doesn't involve my trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #35
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, what fan noise? I have read about the refrigerator fan noises and had no idea what you were talking about. That is because I don't have any fans on my refrigerator. According to this thread, mine is vented and the smaller trailers aren't, thus needing a fan. For those of you who upgraded your fans, Good Job. Still interesting even though it doesn't involve my trailer.
Even some folks that have a roof-vent (like your lucky self ) may find that an inline fan can significantly help the chiminey effect -- improving refer performance. Especially in hot hot conditions.

I saw a neat little fan somwhere that points up the vent and has its own tiny PV-panel up top: neat! no power drain when it's most hot, install and forget it.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
Could you turn the fan around? Could you place it in the bottom section?
gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Great thread!

Interestingly, this topic is more than 3 years old. You would think that by now Airstream would be using something other than a dumb, noisy, battery sucking fan... but no.

That darn fan is my biggest battery draw by far. Even up here in the north the fan is on a LOT and draws nearly an AMP and a half!! Nearly 30AH a day!! Bad bad design. I'm always pulling out the generator, mainly to keep the batteries up to the task of running a stupid fan. Mind you it does a good job... the lettuce is usually frozen

One thing we have started to do recently is to simply shut of the fridge at night since it gets to cold anyways. Saves the battery as well and eliminates the night time noise.

I'll have to order me up a few of those fans. This is probably one of the best mods for those of us with new Airstream that gravitate towards State Parks with no hookups...

PS. Can someone come up with a way to run a fan on LP?
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Tim, where did you find the dual fan Italian set up? I changed out my factory fan for a Silenex, and although it is VERY quiet, I sometimes wish for additional air flow in very hot (90 degree/plus) weather.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
Tim, where did you find the dual fan Italian set up? I changed out my factory fan for a Silenex, and although it is VERY quiet, I sometimes wish for additional air flow in very hot (90 degree/plus) weather.
Unfortunately I have to give the same answer I gave for another product on another thread. We got it from Reimo (www.reimo.com), a company in Germany which does not ship outside of Germany. The system is Italian, so perhaps someone else sells it.

You might consider getting a second Silenex, put it into the thermally switched circuit with the other one, but add a manual switch. Then you could have it in the regular thermal circuit when you wished. The Italian system works similarly, except that it has a second, higher temperature thermal switch that increases the speed of the two fans.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Thanks Tim! I'll consider adding the second Silenex... something I've thought about doing.... I may add a switch so that I can bring one or both fans online as needed. It is probably the simplest solution for those times of extremely high outside temps.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote