Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Great thread! We took a plunge and ordered the Silenx 14dBA fan from Amazon. Easy to install although the one we received did not have color-coded wires. The only problem we have is that the fan is so quiet I spend too much time opening the vent to see if it's still running.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Hopefully you're not waking in the middle of the night to run outside to check the fan.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
It came with a typical red/yellow/black wire connector that I snipped. I should have read up more, because I hooked two wires (red and yellow), heard a small "pop," and observed a small amount of curling smoke from the fan. Dead, due to stupid installer. So, I need to confirm what I think that I need to do next time: Snip off the yellow wire. Connect the red wire of the fan to the thermo-switch, then connect the black fan wire to the formerly blue side ( I believe that an inline fuse is on that side). Can anybody out there confirm this?
Consider it confirmed!

The yellow wire is a speed sense output wire. Putting 12v across red to yellow burns out a coil.

You need to attach the red wire to the thermo switch and the black wire to the blue wire.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' Sport
Marana , Arizona
It does indeed help! I did just what your described to short the first fan out. Too much haste, not enough thinking.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
I installed a single SilenX replacing the factory fan and it worked great.

I just completed installing 2 SilenX fans and fashioning a new bracket.

I joined the hot leads from both fans into a heatshrink coupler and joined the combined wires into the red lead from the thermostat.

I then joined the ground leads from both fans into a heatshrink coupler and joined the combined ground wires to the blue lead from the thermostat.

I wanted to test the 2 new fans but our temps are fairly mild here today so when I turned on the refrigerator on LP, the 2 fans did not start. Is there an easy way for me to bypass the thermostat to verify they both are working? Could I unclip the hot wire clip from the thermostat and join it to the ground wire going into the thermostat to test them or would this create some sort of issue? Other thought was to blow some hot air onto the thermostat to get it to increase its temp and trigger the fans to go on.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sandy
Old 09-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenicholso View Post
This was my first modification to my new to me 2007 23' Safari SE. After the first night in the wild listening to that bag of chipmunks in the fridge my first stop was Frys to pick up some new fans.
What kind of switch did you use and how did you do the wiring? It look very neat!
Old 09-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #63
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coon Rapids , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
I wanted to test the 2 new fans but our temps are fairly mild here today so when I turned on the refrigerator on LP, the 2 fans did not start. Is there an easy way for me to bypass the thermostat to verify they both are working? Could I unclip the hot wire clip from the thermostat and join it to the ground wire going into the thermostat to test them or would this create some sort of issue? Other thought was to blow some hot air onto the thermostat to get it to increase its temp and trigger the fans to go on.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sandy
Just take a wire with two alligator clips (or just bare ends if you're careful not to touch a ground with them) and short across the two sides of the temperature sensor. It should be either set into the fins, or held against one of the coils with a little hose clamp. That will make the system think the temperature sensor has closed.

The fridge will have to be running so be careful not to burn yourself.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRay View Post
Just take a wire with two alligator clips (or just bare ends if you're careful not to touch a ground with them) and short across the two sides of the temperature sensor. It should be either set into the fins, or held against one of the coils with a little hose clamp. That will make the system think the temperature sensor has closed.

The fridge will have to be running so be careful not to burn yourself.
Thanks. This makes sense. I already have all my wiring joined and hooked up to the thermostat so was wondering if there was some way to accomplish this without cutting the lead wires and connecting them to the thermostat since joining the small fan wires was a bit tricky. It sounds like I will have to make a cut and then test it. Could I detach one of the leads that goes into the thermostat and connect it directly to the other thermostat lead to bypass the thermostat or will this cause a short?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
The thermostat is just a thermistor that has two connections, right? In which case, you just need to short the two connections with a piece of wire to test them. This will not harm the thermistor at all, but it only tests the fully on and fully off positions, so you won't get a feel for the fan speeds at different temperatures.

Did you wire your fans in parallel or series?
Old 09-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
The thermostat is just a thermistor that has two connections, right? In which case, you just need to short the two connections with a piece of wire to test them. This will not harm the thermistor at all, but it only tests the fully on and fully off positions, so you won't get a feel for the fan speeds at different temperatures.

Did you wire your fans in parallel or series?
Thanks. I wired them in parallel.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I have a whole stack of this type of fan if anyone wants one.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to jimelmoreiii
Revisiting this thread, with a noisy fan of course. I'm replacing the stock fan on our 04 International with a SilenX. However, I've found that there is alway current to the thermodisc, even when the refrigerator is off. So, if it is warm outside, the fan is always on. Seems odd to me. I would think it would be connected to the refrigerator on/off switch.

Any solution here? Or is something wrong somewhere?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On my '07 there is a switch on the side of the refrig.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
On mine there is a toggle switch just to the left of the door that controls the fan. When the switch is on there is a red light on the switch that comes on. Even with the switch on and the red light on the fan does not run unless the thermister "tells the fan to run".