Old 09-23-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Unhappy Refrig Fan CCD

Ok, here's a cute problem... We have been moving the trailer in and out of the driveway (due to construction) for the past several weeks. Today while walking around the rig, we heard the refrigerator fan running. The refrigerator hasn't been used for 2 months and is in off position. It's apparently decided to run all by itself! Can anybody relate to this and tell me what I can do to shut off the fan? We are plugged in to electric tonight, but will be moved out of the driveway in the morning. Sheesh! What next!

Old 09-23-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
On our Bambi, ours never worked (fridge fan that is)!

If you want, you can disconnect the power leads to it somewhere along the line and it will stop. I seem to recall that it should only run though when the fridge is on. If that is true, I'd call Dometic or whomever made the fridge. There would be no real need to see and authorized Airstream Service Center (unless you wanted to) for this as most RV fridge manufacs have plenty of places that can service these regardless of what brand RV they are installed in.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Unhappy

Thanks Eric and Jamie: It's off now... very wierd! It'll be plugged in all night and I'll check it periodically during the day to verify whether I'm crazy! I'm worried about the battery too. I'd figure I was mistaken if Bob hadn't discovered it running first.
Maybe the little guy is just urging us to swap out the fan for better ones, or signaling us to take it somewhere fun?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not sure. I think if you unclip it from the temp switch it will create an open circuit and the fan will stop. On our Bambi, the clips that connected to the temp switch were red. All it would take is for you to give it a tug, it should slide off and when you want it back on, slip it back on.

Since it's always running, you'll know immed if it works cause it will stop.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Thanks. Has anyone ever had the refrigerator fan turn on and off like this? I hope it was just a one time thing and will not happen again...
Old 09-23-2004, 11:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , United States
The infamous CCD refrigerator fan

I recall that the fan in our 22' CCD would run regardless of the on/off state of the refrigerator. It was controlled by a thermostat if I recall correctly. In Arizona it ran almost all the time. It was most annoying especially when camping out in the nice quiet boonies in the middle of the night. I think Pahaska swapped in a quieter fan. I would bet a search would locate some lengthy posts on the topic.
Ken
Old 09-23-2004, 11:59 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
He did. A search will surely find it, but if I read correctly, Linda's problem is that the fan is running when the fridge is turned off. So the fan running loud is the least of her current worries.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
fan has a mind of it's own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
He did. A search will surely find it, but if I read correctly, Linda's problem is that the fan is running when the fridge is turned off. So the fan running loud is the least of her current worries.
I'm pretty sure ours did the same thing. It was on it's own thermostat. That was what made it such a pain. I almost think the fine manual describes it. If you trace back the wires you'll find the thermostat. Of course that was a year ago and I've sampled some fine tequila since then.
Ken
Old 09-24-2004, 12:09 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Hey! Maybe that's it! We did have it parked up the street and it was quite warm inside when we brought it down. Even though the day had cooled into evening. I hadn't opened the fan vent or any windows for the last few days. It's been warmer in LA over the past weeks, but I'd been using the fantastic fan when we parked it out for the day.
So, if it's possible for the thermostat to trigger the fan on the refrigerator when nobody's home, could it be enough of a drain to cause premature battery failures?
I guess the question is, if the trailer were in storage would it be enough drain to kill a battery?
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Just to clarify, it's not the trailer thermostat. If I'm remembering correctly, there's separate thermo-switch wired in-line with fan power. Also, regarding battery drain, we didn't experience that with the solar panel and the AZ sun (did have to monitor battery fluid level a bit more though). CLear as mud?
Ken
Old 09-24-2004, 12:26 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

It all figures. I wish we had checked the battery levels before plugging her into the electric. We'll check it in the morning, but it'll probably be OK. Thank you. I'll sleep better tonight for sure.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:31 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
It is most probably wired directly to a 12 volt source and will operate independently of the fridge being on ; temperature is what will turn it on and off. If batterr drain is a concern when stored. Why not install a simple on/off toggle switch in the 12 volt line and then you can select the mode of operation. This should be very simpe to do for someone with a basic understanding of electricity.

Good luck
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 05:59 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Linda,

Was your 12-volt disconnect switch on? If it was on the fan will work once cabinet is over 85 degrees. This is per design.

Keep in mind if your batteries are below 10.5 volts and you plug it in the batteries will not take a charge. they must be over 10.5 to work the solenoid correctley.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
My 25 Classic has a roof vent and no fan as delivered. I find that a fan aids a lot in faster cooldown and gains a couple of degrees lower inside temperature when it gets up in the 100-degree range outside. It especially helps when the sun is on that side of the traieler.

I installed a fan in the bottom blowing upward. It is wired hot to the 12v power to the refrigerator, but I mounted a 125 degree thermostat on a small piece of aluminum and clamped that around the tubing with thermal grease between the aluminum and the tubing. The fan comes on only when the flame is high or the AC element is on. It then stays on for a while after the flame goes down or the element goes off.

At various times, I have used surplus computer fans. Right now, I have one of the commercial refrigerator fans that I happened to get for free. The fan is in a plastic shroud about 4" in diameter and 4" long. I found thet the fan was circulating a lot of warm air off the boiler, so I extended the shroud downward with a U-shaped extension with the open side pointed at the louvers. It now moves only cool air from the louvers. The fan is so quiet that I never hear it inside the trailer.

There is no reason to buy an expensive replacement fan. To quiet the original fan, you can install a resistor in series. Try 10 ohms for a start. Better yet, mount a similar fan at Radio Shack or a surplus computer power supply fan and wire either one in series with the original fan. The fans will both run at about half speed and move about as much air as the original fan at full speed. You will not hear them.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote