Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Refrigerator Removal

Help! I can't find where all if the screws are located to remove my original domestic refridgerator. There are no visible screws to the floor or the top from the inside. I've taken all of the screws from the sides out but it won't budge. Archives suggested replacing it with an 110AC unit. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
DRLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Did you check the walls or cabinents on either side to see if screws are visible that go into the outer area of the refrigerator? Smily removed his Dometic after I sent him step by step procedures but my search did not show my posting. The reason some are recommending 110 AC is because the units are cheaper than paying over $1,000 to Camping World for a 110/LP Dometic Classic unit. If you will always have 110 available then the cheaper route may be for you.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 04:19 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Craig, I did take out all of the screws from the inside of the pantry wall (left) and the wall on the other side (right). I think there are about 4-5 on each side. I noticed that from the access panel there is a small board screwed to the frame on the bottom of the fridge but can't see that the board is attached to the floor. I could not find your post to Smily in the archives either. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:36 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you look in the bottom corners of the door opening with the door open there are likley 2 screws there that can get overlooked.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 06:42 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Side Panel

The secret to removal is:

You have to remove wall panel between Credenza and Reefer.

There is sheet metal, that acts as a flange, that is screwed to the floor and to the skin.
This sheet metal is screwed to the reefer.

the only screws going into the floor are the ones that hold the sheet metal to the floor

I will post photo here. The panel that you see the TV on, has to be removed. You will have to drill out the rivets that hold the wall panel to the bracket at the ceiling skin.

Also there are screws that hold the overhead locker to the wall panel. This will allow you to remove the wall panel.

The thermostat, (behind TV in photo) will have to be removed for the wall extraction. Tape coat hanger or piece of wire to the Thermostat wires for re-installation, (fishing the wires back through hole upon replacement of wall panel). I also had telephone wire extending through the credenza through wall panel into refrigerator air space, (near the floor).

You can see in the picture where I replaced the brown screws and rivets with aluminum, (silver) screws.

I will be glad to help if I can. We love our reefer.

Smily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 012.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	633  
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:27 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Wink Refridgerator Removal

Thank you both for the insight on the removal procedure. I knew there had to be something else holding the reefer in place. I will try removing the wall panel tonight. Anyone traveling throgh the southern Rockies is welcome to lend a hand. I'll take before and after photos to post. I need to replace the thermostat on that wall anyway and was looking at the Hunter digital at Walmart. Your rennovation looks great! Why did you decide not to replace the Credenza?
Old 10-08-2002, 10:37 AM   #7
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Credenza

I never removed my credenza. It is behind the small table thingy's.

My credenza does not protrude into the living area like the ones on the 31 footer AS or at least the larger than 27 footers. Which is why my TV is wall mounted instead of sitting on a protruding credenza

I have only one window and one of the vista view windows, (above and below the large window ) but any way my Overlander only has one window rather than two.

I did have to cut the shelf above the refrigerator to allow for the taller reefer. I cut the aluminum trim pieces to fit the new cuts. I will take some close up photos and post tommorrow.

You can barely see the Tambour door on the wall but it is still there.

Good luck with your alteration

Smily
Old 10-09-2002, 04:43 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Demolition phase

Well, I had to remove the credenza, the pantry and both wall partitions in between to get to remove the refridgerator. Just about every screw on the panels was attached to the sides. Also the flashing you mentioned was attached the side to the floor. (see photo). Someone had put in hardwood floors making it very tight in the space. Also the vent on top of the refridgerator had flashing and was making the removal difficult. Tonight I get to put the cabinets back together and install the new fridge and microwave. I'll take some after pictures.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:57 AM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Mucho diferento

Your trailer is very dissimilar than mine. I can see from the photo, I feel your pain.

My exhaust shroud or flue was not exposed but I did have to cut it to make room for the larger reefer. I see that you will not have to cut the shelf above reefer seeing that you do not have one.

Smily
Old 10-10-2002, 11:28 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Alterations

I'm surprised that they are so different. I inclued a picture of the flashing your described. The whole removeal took one evening and anothe to clean the space and put the cabinetry back in place. The exhaust shroud is not needed for the new refridgerator so I used a Rotozip with an attachment for cutting and it worked great. I'm putting in a smaller 100AC fridge and a micorwave in the place where the domestic was located tonight. More updates tomorrow. What did your do wit the exhaust shroud inside the upper cabinet?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ref flashing.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	646  
Old 10-10-2002, 11:34 AM   #11
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Shroud

The refrigerator has coils on the back that allows the systems to heat sink. The air passing through my flue helps cool the coils.

My Flue and shroud are not exposed so I just trimmed my shroud a little to allow for the tall refrigerator.

I hope this will also prevent some rainwater or pressure washer water from getting inside of my AS.

The sheetmetal is the same as mine but I also had a similar piece of sheetmetal attached to the Wall Skin about freezer high. This keeps the reefer from leaning forward and back.

Smily
Old 10-10-2002, 11:44 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Refridgerator ventillation

That brings up a good question. I saw on another post that the scren mesh on the floor in the back of the refridgerator could be covered by flashing? There will be about 12 inches of space for the air to rise behind the coils and will exhaust through the modified shroud. I am adding a shelf about the fridge to put the microwave and it will hold the fridge in place. What do you think about covering the mesh?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ref above.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	647  
Old 10-10-2002, 11:54 AM   #13
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Airflow

You will definitely need some form of airflow. So I would leave the screen open and I would try to find someway to maintain a "flue" to the top. You may be able to do without but the coils are on the reefer for a reason.

Also, most microwaves have some form of vent. Mine has vents on the sides. Will you MV have a vent path?

Smily
Old 10-10-2002, 12:01 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Ventillation for Appliances

Well, I've seen kits for mounting MW in cabinets so it allows ventillation. I was planning on leaving an inch or so on each side of the MW and hope the ventillation flows with the refridgerator. The foot of space behind them should allow convection up through the flue. Is there a exhaust fan in the top of the shroud?
Old 10-10-2002, 12:04 PM   #15
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
exhaust fan

None that I know of but I have never pulled cover off of the top.

I read somewhere that it is convection cooled so I doubt there is a fan.

Where in NM are you?

Gparents both retired from White sands and Dad grew up in Lac Cruces.

Smily
Old 10-10-2002, 12:15 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Ventillation for Appliances

Well, I saw some wires up inside the shroud and assumed there was a fan that helps control the flow of propane? I could not see where it exhausts or how to change the fan....probably another discussion thread. I work on the base and live 60 minutes from Las Cruces at the base of the Sacramento (Rocky) Mountains. So, we get hot during the day and cool at night here.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You definitely need free airflow behind the refrigerator, vented bottom and top. There have been many posts about small fans behind the coils to increase airflow on the hot summer days as the absorption refrigerators aren't very efficient then. As long as you have it all open I would think about installing one now while it is easy. This is but one of many threads on this site that deal with refrigerator problems and airflow.

You also need to seal this completely from the interior of the trailer to prevent CO infiltration from the flame. Basically consider this area of the trailer as outside space with as much free outside airflow as you can get.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Ventillation

I am not replacing the domestic with a 3-way fridge, only a small 110AC unit and a microwave. However, your idea about adding a fan is good one. I will check the site for posts to see if there is one up in the exhaust flue. It may be possible to add one behind the fridge.