Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
Refridge light not working, Well it works too good ???

Re fridge light not working, Well it works too good ???
SO I have A Used AS LY 350 Gas,
With a Dometic Fridge and when I bought it there was no light bulb in it
So I bought a light bulb, ( NO big thing seemed half the lights where burnt out in the beast anyway)
Put the new bulb in, and it worked,
Closed the door, went back a few hours later and the soda cans next to the light where warming (Hum Could the light be on when the door is closed ?)
So pushed in the switch and sure enough the light stayed on,
OK so bought a new switch, put it in, put the bulb in, and it worked, pressed the door switch to see it it went off and NOTHING happened light stayed on ?
So is my beast just trying to tell me to leave the bulb out and work on the engine instead?
Or is there something I'm missing ????
myfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrv
OK so bought a new switch, put it in, put the bulb in, and it worked, pressed the door switch to see it it went off and NOTHING happened light stayed on ?
So is my beast just trying to tell me to leave the bulb out and work on the engine instead?
There are two things needed to have light: power and ground. If your switch is supposed to ground the circuit to turn on the light, something is grounding the socket.
If it is supposed to supply power to the light, there is something providing power when the switch is open.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
Terry,
So the socket might be grounded causing the light to be on all the time ?
I will check it out
I hope it is easy to take apart
Thanks
Rob
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
All,
Update, Terry your where right , the wire that was after the switch, was touching ground so the switch was turning on and off ground how ever it was grounded down stream, between the switch and light bulb.
So "Two grounds don't make it Light right" sorry

So all works now thanks

Also I took this time to install a Fan inside the fridge,
Took a fan from a computer, with the grill covering the blades,
ran it to the wires so it runs all the time while the fridge is running,
and used Velcro to the inside of the fridge, no drilling no nothing
seemed too easy
So now I can throw away that battery operated fan that I always forgot to either turn on or off.
Thanks again
Rob
Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Very Important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrv
Re fridge light not working, Well it works too good ???
SO I have A Used AS LY 350 Gas,
With a Dometic Fridge and when I bought it there was no light bulb in it
So I bought a light bulb, ( NO big thing seemed half the lights where burnt out in the beast anyway)
Put the new bulb in, and it worked,
Closed the door, went back a few hours later and the soda cans next to the light where warming (Hum Could the light be on when the door is closed ?)
You have inadvertentately activated the 'Low Ambient Temp' switch located on the refer's frame....usually found horizontally positioned along the top edge of the refer with the door opened. THIS SWITCH MUST BE OFF!!!!

You don't have any other problems with your unit!!!!!! (0=off, l=on)

Basically, here is what this switch does: in conditions when the outside ambient temps are very low (below 40*) your refer box essentially beomes a cooler, as the unit will not feel that it should operate in those temps. By activating the 'low ambient temp' switch, you are urning un the interior light bulb and poducing just enough heat inside the box to trick the thermistor into turning on the cooling unit andgenerating the cold or the box.

This is done not so much for the refer, but to keep the freezer compartment frozen. If the switch is NOT activated and the cooling unit is not working in low temps, the freezer will not be getting cold either and it will approach the fridge's temps.

There is also a hi humidity switch right next to it which is basically a frame heater to reduce condensation on the outer frame of the refer box.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this often overlooked and very important switch!

PS: The temps inside your refer box will not get below 45-50* with the bulb on, regarless of whet you set it at.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vermilion , Ohio
Lew,
I never head that before makes sense,
I will check the low ambient switch
Thanks
Rob