Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Refer venting question.

There's a large opening in the floor under/behind the fridge in our AS. My question is simple, does it really have to be that big? It's something like 3" x 24", which seems excessive, and is an easy ingress for bugs and dust/dirt (we live in very dusty country). I realize it has to be there to vent the waste heat from the fridge, but I'd really like to reduce the size if at all possible, and maybe do something to clean up the intake through the skin as well. Thanks.

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There should be 2 screens over the opening. One at the belly pan and one at the floor level. The screen used is commonly called "hardware cloth" and should have openings no larger than 1/4". Preventing vermin from entering either space.
This is a draft chimney totally reliant on the premise that hot air rises. Reducing the size could have a negative effect on the cooling capacity of the refer. Especially in hot climates.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
That's not just a vent, it's the intake end of a "chimney." If airflow is reduced at either end of that duct, the fridge will not cool properly.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Yes that is the size it should be, but you can do your best to seal the fridge compartment area from pests by having your belly pan and floor screen in good condition and (I am assuming your refer is out now) so replace them if needed and when you put the fridge back in put foam tape around the areas where the fridge contacts the cabinetry and counter tops and also where the cabinetry meets the aluminium wall. Doing your best to get the air tight seal in that area help the chimney effect needed for the proper operation of the fridge.

And as a plus all of the foam tape sealing keeps your trailer from being drafty
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #5

1974 Argosy 26
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hi- We have a 74 Argosy and I just noticed the floor screen. Our first year with our dreamweaver and I wondered why we had so much dust after traveling. My question is, can we move this chimney vent around so the dust doesn't come in? We travel a lot of dirt/gravel roads.
does the air tight seal the thesignlady refers to still let in dust into that space behind the fridge? Will I have to do maintenance clean in that area?
TammyGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You need the intake vent in order for the refer to operate properly. The area behind and the chimney area should be completely sealed from the interior of the cabin.
Regular maintenance is required in the space behind the refer. Dirt buildup on the coils will effect the refers ability to cool.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote