Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Refer Replacement

My Dometic refer was not keeping food cool enough during some summer trips. While in Bob Jones RV in Houston for some other work I asked them to see if there was something that could be done to improve the Dometic functionality. They diagnosed it as the cooling unit was failing. After considering the various alternatives I elected to replace the Dometic with A Vitrifrigo Sea Classic DP2600, an all electric refer designed for use in boats. It works on both 120v ac and 12v dc. AER Marine Supply in Seabrook had one in stock and Bob Jones did a great job with the install.

After one trip we are very happy with the Vitrifigo. It cooled and functioned as expected. It is a smaller unit than the Dometic in size but the same cubic foot interior. The layout is a little different, particularly in the freezer where there is no shelves on the inside of the door. Also the refer interior light is LED so hopefully it will not have the continual issues I experienced with the interior light and switch on the Dometic. I think the 12v going down the road will be more reliable than the Dometic.

Chris and Harry at Bob Jones were super easy to work with and did a first class job on the removal of the old unit and installation of the new. I highly recommend them for work on an AS.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote