Old 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
Refer just quit Working

Has anyone had this happen? My fridge was working when I left for 4th vacation parked MH slightly off level and next day no fridge. I checked the propane burner it lights up also on ac the burner is hot but the coils on back of refer are not cool to the touch or warm for that matter The refer is about 10 years old and has never really had a problem till now

Old 07-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You parked it "slightly" off level?
Is that what I can believe, or is it like a teenager saying he only had one drink, before wreaking your car?
It should be OK if run only slightly off level? but it will cook if left on for any length of time, when parked on anything more than that.
You say it lights up. What brand is it. Dometic has lots of info on their site.
Check all the wire connections for good contact. You should have lots of heat in the chimney.
The sensor must be sending the signal if it lights up.
Any signs of leaking at the back of fridge?
Dave

Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
Refer issues

No there are no signs of any problems in back of refer. I was level enough to sleep in it and was told when I purchased it that it did not have to be perfectly level to operate. I have parked in simular situations and it was never a problem. I do have the access panel off at the moment the chimney is hot was trying it on ac but my wife turned it on propane for me while I was observing at the back panel the burner is lighting chimney is getting hot but no cooling of anything. shouldn't the coils be warm at the top or anywhere?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
refer issue

What do you mean by cook if left on for a period of time That does not sound good!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Is it a Dometic?

Member "Lewster" has many posts on these and problems and solutions.

Search some of his posts.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...tml#post919478

I have to go out so will check in this evening to see how you made out.

Good luck
Dave
Old 07-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
Did you have an ammonia smell inside the unit? I have an '80 Excella that I just had the unit rebuilt rather than adapt to a different fridge. One day it ran great, next day the freezer was defrosted. The ammonia eats the liner out of the lines as I understand. Having it rebuilt was less costly than a new unit by far.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
refer issue

no amonia smell. I have just shut it down so the chimney cools down I will try
to remove the small panel that looks like where the wires go thru to the ac heater element so I can see any thing unusual there probably won't be able to see anything, Guess I'll have to remove the unit to really have access to check it out thourghly. Bummed!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
refer issues

Sorry I forgot to say it is a Dometic RM2820 still looks fairly new to be nearly 10 years old purchased 9/21/01 $1184 dollars and change installed at CW The techs grumbled about working on Airstreams. My Excella is only 32 years old I did install a long block myself and changed the TH400 tranny to a 700R4 getting about 10- 12 mpg with it. 24 ft P 30 chassis It looks ok never polished it although someday maybe, if I ever get a place to store it inside where the weather stays off of it.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
If it is a 2001 model then it should have worked off level better than if it was an older
one. That is my understanding. The newer are more forgiving!

If you have heat in the chimney, then if all is flowing, you should have cold in the freezer first, then the fridge.

If no sign of cold in freezer, I would think you have more of a problem than I would want.
This info might help.

http://www.gas-refrigerators.com/pdf/classic-parts2.pdf
http://rvcoolingunit.com/RM2820-Dome...it-P10649.aspx

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/rm2820.pdf

See page 7 and page 12 of the above. All the info available is on this site. The manual can be downloaded but I can't cut and paste it here.

The RM2820’s standard features include eye level automatic manual electronic controls with automatic electronic LP ignition, great storage, an interior light, a unique standby feature keeps these refrigerators operating even if the control/display or temperature sensor should become non-functional, and much more!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrank View Post
Sorry I forgot to say it is a Dometic RM2820 still looks fairly new to be nearly 10 years old purchased 9/21/01 $1184 dollars and change installed at CW The techs grumbled about working on Airstreams. My Excella is only 32 years old I did install a long block myself and changed the TH400 tranny to a 700R4 getting about 10- 12 mpg with it. 24 ft P 30 chassis It looks ok never polished it although someday maybe, if I ever get a place to store it inside where the weather stays off of it.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
refer issues

I will remove the unit from the camper and then order the cooling unit from the rvcooling unit site and try for a cooling unit replacement. More Fun!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you have lost you ammonia solution, you should find yellow staining around the leak point. Some folks have reported that you can get a "hydrolock" situation, for lack of a better term.
I have never been so lucky. Most recently, this year, I had a sudden rapid failure and the yellow stuff was all over the outside compartment.
You could try turning it on its side and top and other side and see if the fluid flows back to the bottom of the cooling unit. Then try plugging it in again.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
Fridge

Is that some kind of vapor lock? I have read that you can try to set it upside down for a while then rightside up and it unclogs the system. As for the yellow stuff I can't really see much behind the thing. I am going to have it out hopefully by the weekend and then I should know what's going on with it.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Adams , Tennessee
Fridge issues

Udate, I removed the fridge and by having to hold it up sideways getting it out of the coach to place it on a bench for inspection all coils were ok
no problems located in chimney area. I hooked it up on ac and connected 12v dc to terminals for controller board fired it up and within 2- 3 hrs the freezer was at 17 degrees F and the food compartment was 50 degrees F so it appears that it fixed itself. Probably I had it enough off level that it vapor locked? does this sound feasible? I will hook it up on propane befor I reinstall it and I have a fin repair job to do because a couple of fins have come off and need to be re riveted back to the panel I may need to purchase a tube of thermistic for thermal transfer. Anyone know where a I can purchase a tube
of that stuff? It is running in a friends shop and I will check it tomorrow and hopefully all is ok and I'll just have to repair the fin problem and reinstall it and not have to purchase a new cooling unit or fridge. I am also going to fabricate a back panel to reduce the area of air flow up the back of the fridge over the coils and to the top vent while I can get in there. CW installers just placed a 3 inch wide peice of paneling across the back and screwed it to the duct for the heater that crosses the back of the compartment. I plan to make a panel that will make the air flow up the coils a little more efficiently.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
You burped it during removal.
Vapor lock is a good way to describe what happens.

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote