Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #1

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Refer - AC/good - LP/bad

We have an '05 Safari 25FB with the Dometic double door refrigerator, Model RM2662RB. It works great on AC, but is not doing real well on LP. All indications are that the LP systems are working properly. We have used the trailer extensively, and the LP operation has never been as good as the AC operation, but acceptable. On our current trip, it has been very hot (95 during the day) and the LP operation has been awful.

Is this the norm, or do I need to do something?
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Refrigerator Problems

Similar problem, but worse than yours yesterday:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f156...tor-35594.html

Mine have always worked better on LP, till the burner clogged.

Best of luck,

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We have an '05 Safari 25FB with the Dometic double door refrigerator, Model RM2662RB. It works great on AC, but is not doing real well on LP. All indications are that the LP systems are working properly. We have used the trailer extensively, and the LP operation has never been as good as the AC operation, but acceptable. On our current trip, it has been very hot (95 during the day) and the LP operation has been awful.

Is this the norm, or do I need to do something?
moosetags,

If your fridge is operating normally on 120VAC, then there is a problem somewhere in the LP delivery system. Step 1 is to remove and clean the gas orifice and mixing tube where the air and LP mix. You coul have spider webs there. You should also remove the spiral baffle from the chimney (this may require removal of the unit from it's current position) and thoroughly clean the baffle with a wire busk and steel wool or ScotchBrite pad.

The next step is to check the LP pressure at the gas valve of the fridge. When all else fails, the gas valve may be set too low and is not providing the proper amount of BTU's to the burner. This condition will not allow the refrigerant solution to get sufficiently hot and will negatively affect the performance.

If you are not comfortable with using a manometer and adjusting a regulator, I would suggest you have this done by a licensed LP repair facility. Propane is nothig to fool around with .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

I've detailed the flue overhaul procedure here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/84628-post1.html
Nick
Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have had an almost identical problem with a recently installed Dometic 2625. Worked fairly well on 120 v, but not so good on LP. I took a cover off where the gas shutoff solenoid is, and found a small thumbwheel there, with a line inscribed on it, and the word "off" stamped on it. The "off" part was almost in line with the line inscribed. I turned the thumbwheel away from the line, and the gas now sounds different, a tiny roar instead of almost nothing. I'll know in the morning if this fixed it, and will let y'all know then.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, after twisting the knob, the temp went from 65 to 42 overnight, coldest it's been when running on LP. Looks like that fixed it, and with any luck, y'all's will be as easy.