Old 08-27-2002, 03:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Ref pilot

Can't get the pilot to light on our ref. It a Dometic RM60A in a 1971 Safari. The ref works good on electric. I am trying to get it to work on gas so we can take it on the road for the first time. I have cleaned thd orifice, cap screw valve and seat, inline filter and everything else I can find. I am trying to light it from outside with a match. I hold up on the safety valve for several seconds but no luck. The pilot won't light. Got plenty of gas and the gas supply valve is on. The switch for electric is off. Anybody got any ideas?

Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 04:11 PM   #2
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64

Will the pilot light at all?

Do other gas powered appliances work?

With the "Switch for electric off" does the refer light come on?

You say the switch for electric is off.... Is there another knob for gas, or does it say gas on the other side of the knob for electric. If it says gas and electric on either side of the same knob you may not have the refer in the gas mode. Keep on turning and it will go to the gas side.

Here are the lighting instructions as I remember them from when I had a standing pilot refer.

While holding the safety the saftey valve on, you should be able to light the pilot. The pilot will be directly under the thermocouple. Once the pilot lights you need to continue holding the safety valve in the on posiotion for 10-12 seconds. This is to allow the thermocouple to tell the safety valve it is ok to let gas flow. Once you let go of the saftey valve the main burner should ignite, and the pilot should stay lit.

Here is a link to manuals on almost all dometic refers. There are troubleshooting flow charts and detailed repair instructions.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 04:43 PM   #3
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
My RM60A does not even have a refer light, and no 12V hookup at all. It's 120V or gas.
The controls are seperate for gas or electric operation, so make sure the electric dial is off and teh gas dial is turned on a bit. My pilot will not light properly if both temp dials are at "0"
It will light up when the gas dial is set to about 4, which makes no sense, but is the way mine behaves.
I woould make sure there is gas going to it, and if not, find out why. Some trailers have individual shutoff valves for all teh appliances. My gas valve partially blocks the 120V plug when on, so it can't be plugged in when on gas.
i am sorry i can't be of more help.
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote