Old 05-05-2015, 03:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
They should RECALL every Airstream travel trailer that has ever been built for potential water leaks that cause rotting floors and how dare them put Goodyear Marathons trailer tires on our trailers. Obvious negligence on the part of Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Well, I apologize if I gave people a "startle". I guess my intent has been met, which was to gain attention to what I consider a serious safety issue.

The shore power is indeed designed for outdoor locations, but it sure is stooped to deliberately put a DRAIN LINE immediately above it, especially when all that is necessary is to relocate the line 8 or 9 inches aft within the same compartment.

It looked to me as if it might pose a safety hazard and so I wanted to draw attention to the matter. If I was a conscientious AS employee or assy line worker or engineer .... I'd be filling out whatever paperwork was necessary to suggest that owners relocate the line and offer the necessary materials to accomplish that task and suggest a visit to a dealer who would do it free of charge.

Next time I see a safety issue I'll make certain I use a subject-line sure to be ignored.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
You see, on Vintage we would never drain anything down a side...it all goes out the bottom, and aft at that.
I have to contest that. My 73 Argosy AC drains onto the roof and runs down the outside.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Next time I see a safety issue I'll make certain I use a subject-line sure to be ignored.
Yup, sure could do that but it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying. :
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
I was working on my 22' Sport this weekend and doing general cleanup/service for upcoming summer, when I re-examined my refer compartment and checked the drain line/hose.
It suddenly occurred to me.... AS installed this drain line end, and clamped it beside the door latch... immediately ABOVE the shore-power plug! DOH!

That should be a RECALL!

(Admittedly, this is a simple fix... relocate the drain line FORWARD of the door latch so the water can drain down the side of the AS ... instead of directly down and into the shore-power connection. This is a simple matter of lengthening the hose and relocating the Adel hose clamp.)
Damn! draining water where it can get to Electrical Connections? must have been a Friday Trailer! Good Heads Up!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Crying WOLF comes easy for some...

Quote:
Well, I apologize if I gave people a "startle". I guess my intent has been met, which was to gain attention to what I consider a serious safety issue.

The shore power is indeed designed for outdoor locations, but it sure is stooped to deliberately put a DRAIN LINE immediately above it, especially when all that is necessary is to relocate the line 8 or 9 inches aft within the same compartment.

It looked to me as if it might pose a safety hazard and so I wanted to draw attention to the matter. If I was a conscientious AS employee or assy line worker or engineer .... I'd be filling out whatever paperwork was necessary to suggest that owners relocate the line and offer the necessary materials to accomplish that task and suggest a visit to a dealer who would do it free of charge.

This is much like a conversation about "Can you keep the refrigerator operating while towing" that Boxite is hyping up as to a life or death situation, while lighting a cigarette when refueling his tow vehicle.

I am also tempted to jump into this Crying Wolf episode, but exhausted myself on other Myths and Wive's Tales with the refer running on LP while refueling.

I would be more concerned about using the cook top and not venting the fumes and sleep better knowing that during a rain that the outdoor electrical fixtures will get wet. When you have your trailer hooked up to power at a campsite, the flap is designed to run water away from the male and female plugs. The power cord screws on tight enough where you would have to take a car wash pressure hose to get any moisture into the fixture.

If the water gets above this plug during a flash flood, Noah's Ark event the chances are the power source has already shorted. OR... the Airstream's power system has also protected itself by tripping a power switch.

My biggest Recall situation is for some Airstream Owners. The biggest headache I have discovered with our new 2014... you had better keep your head down when windows are OPEN. After the first time you discover this FACT... you will not need a reminder. Ouch.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Damn! draining water where it can get to Electrical Connections? must have been a Friday Trailer! Good Heads Up!
I don't know what the setup is on that trailer, but I thought all of the newer ones had twist-lock connections for the power cord. Those twist-lock connections can get wet for many reasons, not the least of which is rain. It's hard to see how a small stream of water from the refer would be a problem given the connector should be able to handle rain. But I thought the power connection was on the side of the trailers, and the drain would be down low, so I can't figure out exactly what the issue is. A picture would help a lot.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Ray, you the man! Jim
Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Bauxite says: "If I was a conscientious AS employee or assy line worker or engineer ...."

Yep. Jackson Center, Ohio will put you first on the list of Recalls.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
LOL y'all, didn't your pappy tell you to never criticize ones religious, political, Cupertino, or Airstream beliefs.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I didn't "hype" any refueling posts. I am not so stoopid as to smoke cigarettes either. (I once was but I grew out of it. It's called "learning"... an actual change of behavior. I recommend you try it, Ray.)

Those of you who think it's OK to deliberately play water onto your shore power plugs should do just that... plug into a power source, grab your water hoses and open 'er up. I recommend you also stand barefoot on the ground while leaning against your trailer. Do this naked. Please post a pic. (No.... cancel that...)

For the rest, who spend enormous amounts of time worrying about screws shaking-loose and peeling linoleum, ....perhaps this cautionary tale of the refer drain might be found of greater import.

As for those who are willing to spend Hundred$ replacing perfectly fine converters rather than check the water level of batteries that have been continuously-charged...or of simply turning the batt switch to "store".. perhaps the wisdom of moving a refer drain a few inches might be a better investment of time.

And those who think their own posts are more worthy of read than anyone else's.... could simply avoid attacking someone who tried to be helpful and skip this post and any others I might make. I'll give yours the same attention (but with a bit more personal respect and courtesy.)

Kind regards...

(and Yes... it was perhaps an unfortunate choice I made when creating the subject line... I've already apologized. I'm learning too.)
Old 05-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #26
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
My thought is that if the fridge is dripping water that means I've arrived at home it's off and no longer plugged in to AC power.
I don't like water dripping on the side of my trailer.
Our Komfort had its hose empty into a small bucket inside the back of the compartment and the water just evaporated.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Hi Boxite

There ain't nothin wrong with being safe, especially if it gives you piece of mind. The fact is…most of us have or will make modifications on our Airstreams. I took your heading as tongue and cheek, and there is nothing wrong with a sense of humor either.

I am thinking that most of the folks that are complaining don't have a drain right above an electrical connection. For what it's worth, I don't think I would have designed the drain the way yours was.

I have an alert for you. One time I was at a campground where the polarity was reversed on the electrical outlet. My daughter was barefoot, and when she went to open the door, she got a shock. My trailer has a warning light for when this happens, but it is street side, so I didn't notice it. I can't think of a way to ground the electrical so you won't get a shock when the polarity is reversed, but maybe a buzzer would be better than a light that you can't even see in daylight. Yeah I always check the power hook ups and especially extension cords now.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
The Electrical System is one area that there should be no questions regarding safety. Think of this if it is raining you will be in a metal bath tub....hmmmm!
On my '58 Traveler I am installing the newer style receptacle just so there is the Retaining Ring and Strain Relief where it belongs to help make it safer where water is concerned. Inside there is a Double Pole Circuit Breaker with Polarity Indication and a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) prior to any Receptacles inside, cheap insurance!
By the way NO DRAINS ABOVE ELECTRICAL period!

1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote