Old 05-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #57
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
And what does the fridge run on when the 7 pin is not plugged in?

Just curious.

What I am inferring, and I have no idea how the trailer is wired, is (1) if the tow vehicle 12 volt power supply does in fact turn off when the ignition is turned off and (2), if the refrigerator has a circuit that is used to sense ignition power, then (3) the refrigerator could use this information to turn off the gas. In all cases I'm quite sure the refrigerator gets it operating power from the trailer system, not the tow vehicle. By operating power I mean just what required to power the refrigerator circuit boards and fridge propane ignition system. The cooling aspect is only powered by propane or 120 volt.

At any rate it would be easy to test. Just hop into the trailer after turning the truck off, and/or temporarily pulling the 7 pin plug.

At the end of the day worrying about the refrigerator blowing up the trailer in a gas station is really far down the list of my things to worry about.

kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Dometic CYA Owner's Manual...

George, aka Ganttimes has it right. "CYA. Is what it is all about."

I did learn that the refrigerator will still operate at 9.6 volts DC.

If you read the instructions for the Dometic, there are many WARNINGS. I cannot blame them to place the owner(s) responsible for anything that could go wrong. But all of these warnings are intended for the least informed individual owning an expensive trailer with a refrigerator. Even kids toys have more warnings attached letting the least informed to know that a metal baseball bat can be dangerous when in the hands of an adult, or younger users...

If you read between the lines on the warnings, it is obvious that what could be possible, yet improbable, be included to CYA. ALL newbie's should read the Owner's Manuals included with their trailer. Mostly for their proper operation, but also to understand any caveats of ownership. I take all of this seriously, but also must apply some common sense to these dire warnings.

I received, yesterday, a Safety Recall for potential floor mat interference with accelerator pedal on our 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser. In Spanish and English. CYA. The Toyota dealer will also inspect the carpet, underneath the "locked in floor mats". If they need a cleaning, they will clean them, as well, at no charge. I understand why the notice had to be sent. Some owners... will be deeply disturbed and immediately take their vehicle in for corrective repairs. I have it under control.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member
1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
when we turn on before towing, We always find it in the "check" mode when we stop
Knudsvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #60
Rivet Master
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Originally Posted by Knudsvig View Post
when we turn on before towing, We always find it in the "check" mode when we stop
Whenever we leave on a trip and the fridge has been plugged in and running on electric, I often have to check a couple of times to make sure that the gas is lit before leaving. Then no other issues.

gandttimes is online now   Reply With Quote