Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
pros/cons of refer continuous operation

It is quite easy for us to leave the reefer operating-at home, on the road, boondocking and in a park-any chime in on operating the reefer full time. Well, shoot writing this I realized there are folks who full-time the trailer, so I assume they full-time the reefer, too! (duh!) But, I'd still like to hear comments on this...thanks.
ol' bill the newbie

Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We use camp in Lucy quite a bit, 120+ nights a year. We run the refer at all times when Lucy is in use. When we get her home, we usually shut the refer down for a defrost and cleaning. After as long as nine weeks of consistent use, there is some frost build-up in the freezer section.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My wife uses our Airstream "reefer" as an overflow from our "reefer" in the kitchen. After three + years of near continuous use, we haven't had a problem. It isn't opened often between trips, just when we need to get something out or to stock it for a trip.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Like anything else it will be a wear and tear issue. Logic would say that something going 24x365 is going to wear out faster. Harmful no. Sometimes depending on the item, not using it causes more harm! A low mileage class A or class C unit might be less reliable due to the wear and tear caused by sitting. We know that tires need to roll and axles need to flex. Non use kills them.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Right or wrong, aside from an occasional defrosting, ours has been running continuously for over 4 years. No problems yet.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Another newbie question - how much propane does a frig typically use? Can they run a very long time on the two 20-lb bottles?

Tom
Old 08-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Hilliard , Ohio
Ran mine continuously for almost 2 weeks using what seemed less than half a 30 lb.us tank.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

15 days in the Adirondack's, on lpg most of the time, stays on while traveling. Did work well.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

New Cooling Unit __ Poor reg Frig temps 39-40 deg

As Jack pointed out. Non use has disadvantages.

Just found that out yesterday coming back from Myrtle Bch, and had the curb tire loose the tread after some rough roads. Tires were 7 years old and I was hoping for few more months of use. Bought a tire (luckily a small town had one) and was a wake up call for the 6 year life.

On that note I do believe that I could get more life had I just used it more frequently during the last 3 years. Note that my car tires got constant use and no problems with 8 years and 80,000 miles.

***On the Dometic 2603, I replaced the back cooling unit following the instructions exactly 2 years ago. Freezer gets to 16 deg. but frig only gets to 39-40 lowest either on gas or electric.

I too was wondering if the extra costs of running it (electric) would prevent the clogging of the ammonia gas in the coils, which I believe is what is happening.

Keep the posts coming.....

Steve
Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I never thought about turning it off. My frige is only two years old, it must be frost free. Not any moving parts,whats to wear?

Bibbs
Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
I never thought about turning it off. My frige is only two years old, it must be frost free. Not any moving parts,whats to wear?

Bibbs
The electric heater element has a fixed life. It's nothing more than a metal coil. Electronics in the "brains" constantly running. If you are constantly under gas operation, the gas valve will eventually die, the thermocouple that senses the flame will die. I don't know the effect of the boiler being continually under pressure, so that's pretty much an unknown. So for all intents it doesn't have to move, or move much to have a fixed life. What none of us know is the what the toll of constant operation is.

My fridge in my Hi-Lo failed after 14 years of use. If you added up all the hours that it ran over the course of 14 years, it probably doesn't even come close to my much more mechanical refrigerator in my house. Consider the climate the trailer fridge has to run in plus the shaking it gets during towing, I would be surprised that a home unit wouldn't have a shortened life.

So in retrospect maybe the biggest item that affects the life of an RV refrigerator is how much it gets towed and the roads you travel on. The wear and tear caused by operation might be a minor to what is inflicted when you are on the road.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 08-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Ammonia only moving "part" _ does clog though

And that is the reason for asking if others had negative results from just running the frig a few times a year to camp vs. running all the time and it's expense on electricity.

Remember that is a heating coil to boil the ammonia in the back and resistance heat is not cheap - nor is replacement of a frig. I guess it would use more electricity than a full size frig because it is using a small compressor and fans.

Steve
Old 08-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post
And that is the reason for asking if others had negative results from just running the frig a few times a year to camp vs. running all the time and it's expense on electricity.

Remember that is a heating coil to boil the ammonia in the back and resistance heat is not cheap - nor is replacement of a frig. I guess it would use more electricity than a full size frig because it is using a small compressor and fans.

Steve
The other thing directly related to this comment is whether you operate that fridge in an off level situation. On the older units running off level didn't allow for free flow of the ammonia liquid mix. Once that free flow gets inhibited you start to develop deposits which eventually starts a clog. Somewhat like plaque in an artery. Once it starts it slowly continues to build until you get a clog....and your fridge has a heart attack, which for all intents means a loss of cooling capacity.

The newer fridges have been engineered to be more tolerant of off level conditions. Supposedly if its comfortable for you, then you are level enough. I'm picky and I try really hard to get that bubble centered. RV refrigerators are expensive to replace.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
I think in general more things die on trailers from lack of use (maintenance) than over use. But, electric coils do have a wear out factor and certainly running on propane there will be issues with soot build-up. If stationary though I think the electric coils shouldn't be an issue. I can't see feeding the thing propane year round though if the fridge is staying home more often than not.

We have a mid '40s fridge in our house that's been running almost continuously for over 60 years. There's no way it would still be alive if it was left sitting and then plugged in occasionally. OTOH, it's lasted this long because in hasn't been moved in almost 50 years!