Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
propane smell when fridge runs on gas.

I get a propane smell in the coach when the fridge is running on LPG. Pilot is going fridge works just fine but it smells and sets off the gas alarm. I thought the fridge system was isolated from the coach by the chimney stack. Soapy water detected no leaks before the burner. I am at a loss.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you don't see any leaks from the gas valve to the burner, that section that is charged with gas while the frig is in gas, check the valve body itself. That valve is a 2 stage system and the second stage may be leaking.

If not turn all gas appliances off. Turn the gas tanks off and let sit overnight. Then open the gas tanks. If you hear gas flow when you turn the tanks on you have a leak in the piping of the trailer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Not sure what fridge you have but I had a similar experience. I was detecting a slight propane smell, not all the time but enough that I knew there was a small leak somewhere. Turned out to be in the fridge, there is a very very small shut off valve on the gas line in the lower back of the fridge. Its only an inch or so big, with a thumb turn. Soap tested it and sure enough it had a small leak. Found one online no problem but its been a few years so I cant remember where I purchased from. Might be worth looking at. Tiny little valve but right in front of you when looking at the back of the fridge.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote