Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Portable Freezer?

We are planning on a cross country trip and would like extra freezer space. My searches have brought up Engel, Waeco, Norcold, ARB. I plan on keeping it in the back of the burb on 12v and plugging into the outside 110V receptacle of the AS when we hookup at night. We bought the 08 Classic 31 that we have not picked up yet so I dont know if there is room to store it in the wardrobe closet. It seems that the expense is so great one would have to have the larger units like 45qt. to 80 or 110qt. to make the whole affair worthwhile.
I heard the Engel and ARB units can be tilted up to 30 degrees w/o a problem.
Does anybody want to give their opinions on these models?
I had looked into using a 3.5cft 115v model say from Sears but the inverter size etc. is just not practical. These portable units cut off before zapping all of your TV power. The Engel model claims to have a different technology that is more bullet proof.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Most interesting, and I would assume since it is designed for duel voltage the insulation will carry through fall offs. I can't ofer any info, but look forward to hearing others input, and your end results/performance.
ongrats on your purchase. Looking forward to seeing it...and updates on your trip
Old 05-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
This is an old thread but one I am considering since the new Dometic cooler/freezer units run off AC and 12v. Has anyone used these units recently? Reviews on Amazon are mostly negative from 2018.

My Landyacht has a washer/dryer unit that never worked well and takes up lots of space. Considering a portable freezer to be placed in that space as it has electric and drain lines in place already. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote