Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Plug fridge and micro in same outlet?

Hi, I am need some quick advice as my new cabinets go in. My cabinet maker is on a roll. We think there is room above the cabinets or fridge for a small microwave. The fridge is plugged into an outlet behind it and I would like to plug the microwave into the same outlet. What do you all think? My trailer is a 1974 if that matters. Pam
pamelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
... My trailer is a 1974 if that matters.
What matters more is your type of refrigerator. As long as it is an RV fridge, and not a replacement "dorm fridge", you should be able to run both a small microwave & RV fridge from the same outlet.

If the circuit breaker should trip, then either unplug the fridge when the microwave is needed or run a new power wire for the microwave.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
What matters more is your type of refrigerator. As long as it is an RV fridge, and not a replacement "dorm fridge", you should be able to run both a small microwave & RV fridge from the same outlet.

If the circuit breaker should trip, then either unplug the fridge when the microwave is needed or run a new power wire for the microwave.

Tom
I certainly agree with Tom on this.

Pam I am sure hope that you are taking lots progress of shots of your renovation. I for one would love to see how you're doing. Any chance that you might treat us to a few photos?
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Pam,

You didn't post any specifications but I'll assume that the supply circuit is 15 amp. Given that, your RV fridge running on electric will draw 350-450 watts, depending on which element it is using. A small microwave generally uses 800-1000 watts so you have a total max of 1450 watts.

At 120 volts, a 15 amp circuit delivers 1600 watts, so you should be fine! (P=IE) or watts=volts X amps from Ohm's Law.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
You guys are great!

Lew, it seems like I need to understand more! ((P=IE) or watts=volts X amps from Ohm's Law)! One of the first things I will do in my new lounge in the AS is study electricity!

Meanwhile I will attempt some pictures... First I have to go and make them smaller so they will upload. Pam
Old 04-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
My Project

Okay, here are a couple of pictures in progress. I realized as I looked that I have been taking lots of close up pictures of water pipes and wiring etc. so I will remember what is behind and under all my new cabinetry. Here are a couple of the most recent pix I have. We are using birch and birch ply. I haven't seen the progress in the last week, so I will get more pictures mid week... Pam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stove and sink cabinets in progress.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	35355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge and pantry in progress.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	35356  

Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Pam, Thanks for the pics. It looks likes you are well on your way. Looking forward to your next installment.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
Okay, here are a couple of pictures in progress. I realized as I looked that I have been taking lots of close up pictures of water pipes and wiring etc. so I will remember what is behind and under all my new cabinetry. Here are a couple of the most recent pix I have. We are using birch and birch ply. I haven't seen the progress in the last week, so I will get more pictures mid week... Pam
Hi Pam,

I see that you are just down the road from me. I am in Beaverton. Your cabinet work is looking nice from what I can see in your photos. I belive you mentioned earlier that you were having the cabinet work done? Do you mind sharing who is doing the work?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Pam,
I would be cautious. If you turn on the microwave and the refrigerator starts( it takes more amperage while starting) it will probably trip the breaker, especially an old one. If you run a new circuit you'll never have a problem.
From your photos now would be the time to add a circuit.
I hope this helps you,
Mike
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
Pam,
I would be cautious. If you turn on the microwave and the refrigerator starts( it takes more amperage while starting) it will probably trip the breaker, especially an old one. If you run a new circuit you'll never have a problem.
From your photos now would be the time to add a circuit.
I hope this helps you,
Mike
Mike,

If I read your post correctly, you are saying that the refer has a start-up draw, which is incorrect. A household refer with a compressor will have an extra draw on start-up, but an RV fridge uses a heating element and has no initial draw other than the rated watts of the element.

Perhaps you were referring to the micro?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Lew's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
... If I read your post correctly, you are saying that the refer has a start-up draw, which is incorrect. ... an RV fridge uses a heating element and has no initial draw other than the rated watts of the element...
I "second" Lew's sentiment. If you really want to get technical, heating elements do have a start-up surge but it is nowhere near as intense as a compressor-driven refrigerator.

As long as Pam has a refrigerator designed for RVs then Lew's observation is valid.

Tom
Old 04-11-2007, 02:54 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Hi Pam,

I see that you are just down the road from me. I am in Beaverton. Your cabinet work is looking nice from what I can see in your photos. I belive you mentioned earlier that you were having the cabinet work done? Do you mind sharing who is doing the work?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Malcolm, A very good friend of mine is doing the cabinets. He is retired and 'winters' in Oregon (?!) from Minnesota. I have been trying to talk him into this for 2 years and he begrudgingly agreed. We have my trailer at another friends house in Philomath and he is using his workshop. I was down there today to finalize some of the plans for drawers vs pull out pantries etc and I forgot to get pictures. Arh! I am having withdrawals ready. And BTW, he is doing a great job and things are looking very good.

Anyway I don't think he will be talked into this again anytime soon, but you never know. Maybe he will be hooked now! I am in Lake Grove, so very close to you. I would love for you to see the finished product when I finally get her home. Keep in touch. Pam
Old 04-11-2007, 03:08 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thank you all for the informative discussion... it has been very helpful. As always you are great and generous with your knowledge. Maybe someday soon I will be able to answer some questions for others. Pam
Old 04-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I'll stand corrected on the RV refrigerator. I had to explain this to many past customers, I answered out of habit. But I got a chance to learn something, thank you for correcting me.
Mike
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
I'll stand corrected on the RV refrigerator. I had to explain this to many past customers, I answered out of habit. But I got a chance to learn something, thank you for correcting me.
Mike
And thank YOU for your gracious 'thank you'!!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
So if a dorm fridge is rated for 1.3 amps, does that mean it will use 156 watts -1.3(amps) x120(volts)=156 (watts)?
Or am I really messed up?
Uberphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Ohm's law made an impression on you. But...

Yes - After it has started up.

A dorm refrigerator has compressor. Compressors pull a start-up spike of current that could pop a breaker if the refrigerator wants to start up while the microwave is already running.

Tom
Old 09-04-2007, 05:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Thanks!
Uberphotos is offline   Reply With Quote