Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2002, 05:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Angry Pilot light in Frig

I am the prod owner of a 1971 27' Int. , with the original refrigerator!!!, and it works. One problem: the pilot light blows out while traveling. There is a wire screen along the bottom , I assume to keep out critters. Any suggestions??
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 08:32 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You should have a set of sheetmetal shields on the back of the fridge to cover the spot where the pilot is. Do you light it from the back or front?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Frig Pilot light

Thanks again thenewkid , It has controls to light from the front. I tried but no luck. Needs work! I have been lighting from the back but it isn't easy since the flame is in a box. Could be the shield that you are talking about. Havn''t got around to looking at it., since I was moving a lot., but it is on the list. MY last brand new pop-up cost me $7000 and nothing worked!! Now I have a 30year old trailer and everthing works.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:19 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
In our 74 we had trouble keeping the fridge lit when it was really windy while towing. I do not remember doing anything to fix the problem, I think we just tried to be sure everything was cold before we pulled out. The fridge will keep everything cold for hours if it is at temp prior to towing.

If you wanted to you could create a baffle with a metal plate that covers two thirds of the bottom screen. You would need to fasten it down for travel and remove it while parked. The wind flow past the vent cap will pull plenty of air thru the vent stack while under way but with the baffle in place you would not get as much air as necessary while parked. For good measure I would work out a way to hold the baffle down as you could damage someting if it bounces around on you.

Congrats on your new to you trailer, you qualify for the Vintage Airstream Club whit a unit of your age. The group there is very knowelegable and helpful just like us, but they know their stuff when it comes to these old rigs.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 08:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I remember a post awhile back where the individual bought a metal filter screen such as found over the stove in the vent system. They bought a size that fit between the door and the box where the burner is. The filter, being metal rather than paper or fiber, was removed when they reached their destination to provide adequate ventilation. Hope this helps.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 07:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Talking

Thanks again New Kid and David . I'm getting a lot of help from everyone. I did carry an electric cooler with me left over from my pop-up days [good ridance]. I used it [12volts ]during travel and left it on all night, if only over night. Does ayone have any luck with the up front start controls???
Old 05-13-2002, 12:36 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I've got a 1971 25' rear bath unit with original fridge. I've only had the pilot blow out once while traveling. My unit lights easily from the back. You just have to have someone move the lever (or whatever it is) on the front to see the red button in the back move. The button opens the gas flow for the pilot. Use one of those butane "match" things to light the pilot while holding the red button. Prior to going on any trips, all things that are going in the fridge and freezer section are kept in the corresponding units in the house to "pre-cool" them. Even if the pilot blows out, the temps will stay fine for quite awhile if the door is not opened. Cheers!
Old 05-13-2002, 04:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Cool Frig Pilot lite

Thanks CPR- I guess I've been doing it right. I do have one of those electric coolers that I used if I didn't have time to let the frig cool and I knew I would not have 110v that night.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:49 AM   #9
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Post Refer pilot light

Since you are missing the baffle, you might try using aluminum duct tape, not to be confused with the fabric Duck band tape.

I've used this on a previous SOB, and it worked reasonably well.

-----------
Jim
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We had that problem for a while. Finally, I took out the propane orfice and discovered that the tube above the flame and that the flame heats through was allowing tiny flakes of rust fall onto the orfice area. Finally (after decades of service) the area around the orfice and the orfice itself became covered with particles and would barely light, much less stay that way with even a hint of wind. To fix, blow.

Lynn