Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Parts for OLD!! Magic Chef Refrigerator

I have a rather old Magic Chef Refrigerator in my 55 Bubble (no not original), I am not to sure of its age but it is at least 30+ years old. The model # is a R30 and the part # is 671-110-080. This is a gas valve and is the only thing wrong with the refrigerator, I hope. It works like a champ on 110, ice in 20 minuets! Any resources for online parts new or used. I have spent 3 days looking I need some HELP!!!!
Thanks BB 55 Bubble
Old 07-07-2006, 12:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I did a quick search... have you looked here yet?

http://www.partselect.com/Magic-Chef-Parts.htm

There are places that specialize in restoration of older appliances. You might look for a topic in that genre... You might also do a phone book search in your area, or maybe Portland and see who repairs older gas refrigerators. If you can't find anything call a few businesses and just ask them who they refer customers to that need older gas refrig repair. You've probably already tried that, but it is what I would do...

Good luck!
Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis (1963 Bambi)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Talking Yep the local guy!

Found a guy local here in Oregon who has the hook up! Should be done next week. Its a repair place in Bend called Jerry's RV. Great bunch of guys, with a ton of know how!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Question Metric fittings and flange.

I have the old refrigerator just about up and working for a reasonable price. It works great on 110 and now is put back together again like it should be. I have an issue with a gas line that goes from the thermostat to the burner. It is cracked and leaks gas, the fitting are fine just the tube cracked. The issue is that the fittings are metric and the burner has some sort of German flange with a ring in it that may be difficult to reproduce. The line itself is 3/16 inch copper tubing nothing special there but I asked if they could patch the line, the guy laughed at me. Well I need some help here, has any one else had some thing like this done? I have had only one lead and that is with a club called That Old Appliance Club. They know that the parts are no longer available and it would have to be manufactured. I will be taking pictures here tomorrow and posting them, and sending them to a club member who will see if they could remake the part in their machine shop. I thought I would throw this one out and see if there is any one out there who has run across this problem before with a solid fix option.
Thanks all
Beau
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
if it's copper, and just cracked, it can be braized with those silver - nickle rods that is used in the refrigeration industry. There commonly used to attach copper to copper. If you can't find anyone to do it you can send me the line for repair.
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Unhappy Line

Well the line is not copper and it is not cracked. I have posted some pictures so that every one can see what I am talking about. The picture with the arrow is point at what looks the gap between the 90 elbow and the fitting for the pipe. The connections are all metric and the pipe is 6mm .024inch aluminum pipe. Can it be fixed? Parts are not available and I called Magic Chef (Matag) And they could not find the model number R-30.
Thanks all Beau
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attaches to burner.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	26924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burner connection.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	26925  

Name:	Connection to thermostat.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	26926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Connection.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	26927  

Name:	Overall.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	26928   Click image for larger version

Name:	The problem.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	26929  

Old 10-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Piping problem

Beau, I may be dumb here but why not take the pipe in question to a propane gas distributor in your local area and have the fittings put on a new line made of copper pipe? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Metric tube

I did and the pipe is 6mm and according to the local guys they do not make the copper pipe in that size so it will not fit the fittings. I was told that the entire section will have to be manufactures to fit. It is my hope... no prayer that I could find a guy with some experience in this. My understanding is that the end that has the brass fitting was smashed down to fit a common fitting and was rethreaded to a metric thread. That is not the problem. The picture with the pointer is some sort of funkey fitting that will need to be made or found. I can not find any info on the jet. My understanding is that any old jet can not be used because it is specific to the fridge and was lazer cut just for that application. WAY to complicated for me and my pea brain. So I am stuck with finding a new fridge ($600-800 and I am smack in the middle of dealing with the frame) or placing a patch on it with a aluminum epoxy. I have a few people on the east coast that could make a new one, I'm shipping the part to them if all other options fail. It was intention to fix the fridge and when the thermostat fails (wich I am shure is only a matter of time) I was going to replace it when the trailer fund could support the purchace. So that is where I am at now.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
BB 55 Bubble,

That groove on that fitting could be for an o-ring ? It looks like an o ring
would fit in the groove and then is sealed when the nut is pushed over it and threaded down ,possible ? The aluminum line can be welded where your mutilated crack is in that line .Go find a welder that specializes in aluminum
welding and Tig welding .the welder can weld a very tiny patch right over the crack ,so as not to fill the inside of tube with weld ,blocking it.The brass
fitting and the ferrull (crimped brass piece on aluminum tube) looks right
to me the brass fitting with the threads has an inverted taper to seal the
ferrull .The ferrull is designed to crimp or crush down to hold on the tube
and provide a seal for the threaded brass nut as its called ,and the fridge fitting the tube attaches to .The more I look at your fitting photo with the
arrow ,the more I believe an o ring went on there ,it probably had disentigraded at some point .If you look inside the nut part ,you may find a
smooth area right where the o-ring might seal when both parts are assembled
together .Its old ,so back then this could be possible ,not completely sure.
If I had the tube I could easily get it repaired (the crack)as I deal with
a proffesional stainless and aluminum welder that does very specialized
welding .He built my stainless round water tank in my 60 trdwnd ,no leaks .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Oh forgot to mention that o-rings can be had for it ,they come in many sizes and in neoprene and viton ,superior to rubber ,you get them from an
industrial supply place ,they have the very small sizes ,as well as large .
check the phone book and call around .you will buy a few sizes ,two of each
as some are thinner or fatter in thickness ,better to take your nut and fitting
to check the fit .This of course if it indeed takes an O-ring .

Scott
Old 10-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
The ring

That space is where I pulled the crimp out of the elbow. If I place the nut on to the threads and tighten it pulls it into the 90 elbow. It is very tight fit and I had to work at it to get it out. I stoped playing with it before I broke it, but I had it in and out again.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Ok ,well it was a good guess I guess ,that leaves me with no other help Im afraid .

good luck

Scott
Old 10-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB 55 Bubble
That space is where I pulled the crimp out of the elbow. If I place the nut on to the threads and tighten it pulls it into the 90 elbow. It is very tight fit and I had to work at it to get it out. I stoped playing with it before I broke it, but I had it in and out again.
Send all the pieces out to me, I have the tubing. The picture you have the arrow in, the fitting is called a break - away. it's mostly found in comercial applications. I'm sure I can get it together with new tubing for you.

Stu
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Offer of Help!!!!

Stu, Good on you for the Great offer of help to another Airstream owner. Karma to you.Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Thumbs up Online resources

Go to the fallowing link and link at post # 26 for the resources I have used this far including the ones used for the refrigerator. http://www.airforums.com/forum...e-16445-2.htmlThank you to RV_COOL he has the parts. It turns out that most of the commercial ovens use the same tubing and connectors.
KARMA TO YOU!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Yeah RV COOL is very cool !

Scott