Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Hensbob

1964 22' Safari
Rippey , Iowa
Original Refrigerator rebuild

I am not a regular contributor but I felt compelled to spread the word about the quality and service available from Leon at National RV Refrigeration in Shipshewana, Indiana. I have a 1964 22' Safari and, with only a little qualifier, I am its second owner. Everything in it is original including its non-working refrigerator. I wanted to keep the good, functional, original frig box and exterior but replace the nonfunctioning works in the back end of it. After contacting several internet places which claimed to fix anything (NOT!) I finally arrived on Leon's phone and he assured me he would do his best but no guarantees. Being from Iowa it was a trip for me, so we arranged a time and I drove it out and left it for 5 days while my wife and I toured a little bit. When I returned I found that Leon had created from scratch, a completely new and much more efficient, gas/electric RV frig that cools like a champ! Cost - $675; but I did not have to bastardize the interior as I tried to add in a new non-fitting frig and destroy that vintage look and feel. I just felt like this is worth posting because others may be trying to figure out similar solutions. Look on line for National RV Refrigeration. And by the way, Shipshewana, IN is a nearly 100% Amish community with unusual shopping and a large flea market, a wonderful place to visit. Happy streaming!
hensbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
Can I ask what model fridge you have? I have a Marvel in my 51 Silver Streak Clipper that runs but does not cool. A conversion to gas electric would be perfect for me.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
Hensbob

1964 22' Safari
Rippey , Iowa
I believe my frig is an old Dometic but I think a brief call to Leon in Shipshewana would clear up all your questions. Leon is one of the most congenial people I have ever worked with. Allan
hensbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
Thanks Allan, I will check with Leon. Appreciate the post!
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Hens bob, does he do a total restoration? Like enameling, gaskets, etc....

My 54 Cruiser Marvel fridge works but needs some (lots) of TLC.

Sid