Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Ok how do I check this frig it is OLD...

Ok I was thinking I need alot of things done to my trailer and one of the bigger money issue items is the gas /electric refrig . The one in my trailer is well I would say 32 years old and has not been run in @10 years How should I go about testing should I take it out and clean it first (how should I do that) I opened up the panel and it looks pretty rusty in the back along with some mice feces (why I think I should clean it) any Ideas how i should go about it?

It is a dometic frig..

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you don't see any yellow stuff or smell ammonia, you have a chance. I would clean up the mouse crap and give it a shop running on electric first. It will take several hours for it to cool down. If that works try it on propane after you have checked the system for leaks. After sitting for so long, it might need a burp, you never know.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...dge-33735.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
Ok I was thinking I need alot of things done to my trailer and one of the bigger money issue items is the gas /electric refrig . The one in my trailer is well I would say 32 years old and has not been run in @10 years How should I go about testing should I take it out and clean it first (how should I do that) I opened up the panel and it looks pretty rusty in the back along with some mice feces (why I think I should clean it) any Ideas how i should go about it?

It is a dometic frig..
Richard is spot on. There are a few things to do to 'tune-up' your fridge....assuming that the cooling unit is still functioning. As he said, plug it in and let the AC side work for at least 8 hours (after cleaning it out......of course!)

If your freezer is at 15* or less and the refer section is 42* or less, then it is operating to spec and you should turn it off and pull the unit from the cabinet.

Once removed, dis-assemble the LP burner section and thoroughly clean and remove any rust or loose particles. Be especially careful of the LP orifice when cleaning, and use carb cleaner (or equivalent) and complessed air ONLY!!! Never put anything thru the tiny little hole.

Next, look at the top of the vertical round tube (boiler tube section) for a clip with a piece of piano wire on it. Remove this wire carefully, and you will find a little part called the 'spiral baffle' attached to the end. It is essentially a precisely twisted piece of flat stock that plays a VERY IMPORTANT part in the LP heating process. Clean this carefully, and re-insert in into the flue tube.

Your fridge should rum like a champ now. Be sure to check your LP re-connection with soap solution for leaks, and give it a run on LP to be sure that it's working properly.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Cool thank you ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Richard is spot on. There are a few things to do to 'tune-up' your fridge....assuming that the cooling unit is still functioning. As he said, plug it in and let the AC side work for at least 8 hours (after cleaning it out......of course!)
Trust me I did that allready.. ..I think that smiley says it.

If your freezer is at 15* or less and the refer section is 42* or less, then it is operating to spec and you should turn it off and pull the unit from the cabinet.

Once removed, dis-assemble the LP burner section and thoroughly clean and remove any rust or loose particles. Be especially careful of the LP orifice when cleaning, and use carb cleaner (or equivalent) and complessed air ONLY!!! Never put anything thru the tiny little hole.

Next, look at the top of the vertical round tube (boiler tube section) for a clip with a piece of piano wire on it. Remove this wire carefully, and you will find a little part called the 'spiral baffle' attached to the end. It is essentially a precisely twisted piece of flat stock that plays a VERY IMPORTANT part in the LP heating process. Clean this carefully, and re-insert in into the flue tube.

Your fridge should rum like a champ now. Be sure to check your LP re-connection with soap solution for leaks, and give it a run on LP to be sure that it's working properly.
Thanks do they make parts for the dometic refrig? (Just in case you know how that is)

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Another thing to check while you have the burner apart for cleaning. The L shaped tube that carries the gas from the orifice to the burner is a favorite home for spiders. Make sure this tube is clean.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Fort White , Florida
The fridge wont kick-in

I got a Dometic 3807, , the 3-way AES display panel seems to work fine, we got the gas to fire up without a match, it burns for a minite, then it shuts down, the Fridge wont kick in, what should be my next step for the diagnosis.
floridartist is offline   Reply With Quote