Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Not using fridge fan

I'm trying to optimize my refrigeration setup while reducing it's electric consumption. Dometic propane / AC fridge, ammonia, 2004 16' CCD.

AS installed a small computer-type fan, controlled by a button thermostat on the fins of the condenser. It's noisy, runs A LOT, and consumes nearly an amp. On our shakedown cruise, I quickly realized that this sucker could use up the battery all by itself in just a couple of days.

So, I disconnected it, then put the gray plastic covers back on, which hide the whole messy cavity from the outside of the trailer. Condenser got very hot, performance suffered, temp rose both inside fridge and around the kitchen base cabinet.

So, I removed these covers, leaving the ugly messy cavity exposed to the outside. All problems solved. In temps up to 85F on sunny days, the fridge still performed well, condenser and cabinet temps were reasonable, etc. Best of all, zero amps used by the fan.

However, this solution looks UGLY, and tends to blow out the fridge's burner on windy day's. It's also not usable while moving, for the same reason.

SO, has anybody either found a fan that uses a WHOLE lot less juice (say no more than half an amp)? Or does anyone know of or can design replacement covers for the cavity that look ok but assist in convection, for example in the way that those whirly things on roof vents work?

THANKS,
jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Jon, This is a great thread on the fan problem. Not only will the replacement fan be super quiet, you might also benefit from the on/off switch. http://www.airforums.com/forum...lly-11811.html . Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote