Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Norcold vs. Dometic

Is there a reason other than "Airstreams come with Dometic" that I see so few people with Norcold refrgerators? The prices seem similar as do the sizes. Just wondering. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatismytruc
Is there a reason other than "Airstreams come with Dometic" that I see so few people with Norcold refrgerators? The prices seem similar as do the sizes. Just wondering. Thanks in advance.
One reason to use Dometic is that they make certain replacement sizes to fit into older refrigerator cabinets without modifications. Norcold does not offer this advantage.
NorCold refrigerators work very well, there is no reason other than the above mentioned to prefer one over the other.
Norcold makes and interesting compressor refrigerator for RV and marine use. It has a low 12V power requirement, and will run fine while off level. I believe it is 12V 120V compatible. This could be a good alternative for those that camp with solar, hookups, or simply tow enough to keep the 12V system energized. Compressor fridges cool faster, and are by nature safer to use than propane absorption fridges.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63
Norcold makes and interesting compressor refrigerator for RV and marine use.
Here's a very good similar DC one by Novakool Backwoods Solar for Solar Power, Hydropower, Windmills, Energy Efficient and 12 volt Appliances for off grid living
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Thanks for the answers. The DC unit is very cool (insert groan here). The size unit I need is manufactured by both Norcold (N410) and Dometic (RM2451). I quess I will go by price, unless the value of my vintage mosty original trailer goes down by using a norcold instead of a kinda oem Dometic. Any thoughts on that? thanks again.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
New Related Question

I posted a question it the Argosy Trailers thread but I might be able to get some imput from a few of you owners of older Airstreams also. Thanks again.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...nce-42393.html
Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
After thoroughly reviewing the Installation, Operation, and Parts Manuals for the Dometic RM2451 and the Norcold N410 refrigerators it is very clear to me that I will not be able to easily modify the refrigerators to install in my Argy 22.

I've called two RV fridge repair places and both said no to repairing my model (RM40 or RM44 I can't remember which it is right now). I really do not want to modify my cabinetry. any other ideas for repair/replacement of the cooling unit?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can get a replacement cooling unit for your existing fridge, they usually run about half the price of a new fridge, though.
IIRC, the fridge in your Argosy is an under the counter model that in theory should be easy to replace with a similar unit from Dometic.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Norcold has a very useful conversion chart online at Refrigerator Conversion Chart. Just find your model and look to the right. Also has dimensions for both.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Thanks for the link. My model is not listed though.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Unhappy Too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatismytruc View Post
Thanks for the link. My model is not listed though.
Maybe the dimensions will help you, though.

I just went to our local Camping World with a price for a Norcold N841 with ice-maker that i found online. After consulting several associates, one assured me that they would price match even though they will have to order one. The person in the know is off today, so she is going to get the info from Norcold tomorrow. I will keep you posted.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
I found this also.
http://www.dometic.com/03690825-eff9...f9af1eb7.fodoc
and got my model # right. The Norcold site refers me to a N410 but it is too tall I think.
the dometic cross reference seems too small. I'm going to try a little harder to fix it now.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
I found this also.
and got my model # right. The Norcold site refers me to a N410 but it is too tall I think.
the dometic cross reference seems too small. I'm going to try a little harder to fix it now.
A little smaller is not a problem, you can add matching wood to the top and sides for a tight fit. Taller or wider is difficult, since you will have to make extensive modifications to the cabinetry.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Other Norcold Resources

Quote:
I found this also.
Hi Skip,

Another resource on Dometic's site is the ability to download the Owner's and Installation manuals. Go to the one that looks like the best fit from Norcold Inc. Refrigerators and click on the manuals link. For instance the N841 that I ordered this morning has the manuals located at N64/N84 Series.

Yes, the local Camping World called and confirmed that they are matching the low price I found online. They even asked which side I wanted it hinged from, even though they are swappable. I know because I read the installation manual.

With the installation manual, you can find out exactly what you will need to do.

Keep us informed.

Love your avatar, '57, right? I spent about an hour in Miami back in the late '80s talking to a tiny white haired lady who was the original owner of a Coral '57 T-Bird. Back home, I had a 4-door '57 Fairlane 500. It was like, "What if Batman had a family?"
Old 06-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet What Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Love your avatar, '57, right? I spent about an hour in Miami back in the late '80s talking to a tiny white haired lady who was the original owner of a Coral '57 T-Bird. Back home, I had a 4-door '57 Fairlane 500. It was like, "What if Batman had a family?"
Leave a comment about your avatar, and next time I look it is different. I will admit, I like wagons as a TV, just don’t think one would be appropriate for the 34’ Excella of mine. Although when I was growing up some guys in my hometown mounted a ’68 Bonneville wagon on an Army FWD truck frame. Hmmm…
Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal Oak , Michigan
The Norcold 12v fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63 View Post
One reason to use Dometic is that they make certain replacement sizes to fit into older refrigerator cabinets without modifications. Norcold does not offer this advantage.
NorCold refrigerators work very well, there is no reason other than the above mentioned to prefer one over the other.
Norcold makes and interesting compressor refrigerator for RV and marine use. It has a low 12V power requirement, and will run fine while off level. I believe it is 12V 120V compatible. This could be a good alternative for those that camp with solar, hookups, or simply tow enough to keep the 12V system energized. Compressor fridges cool faster, and are by nature safer to use than propane absorption fridges.
I have one of these fridges in my Gulfstream sprinter. Pluses are that it cools very quickly and there is absolutely no issue running off level. Cons are that it makes a bit of noise similar to the fridge in your home. It also sucks quite a lot of juice when running on 12v. I have 3 big batteries in the sprinter just to keep the fridge going. The original medium size battery that came with the coach was depleted in 24 hours or less when running the fridge. If I could choose, I would choose a 3 way fridge, but I think if I had to choose between propane and 12v I would choose propane, just for less worries with the batteries.

Mike
mikelevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:50 PM   #16
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
I found this also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelevitt View Post
I have one of these fridges in my Gulfstream sprinter. Pluses are that it cools very quickly and there is absolutely no issue running off level. Cons are that it makes a bit of noise similar to the fridge in your home. It also sucks quite a lot of juice when running on 12v. I have 3 big batteries in the sprinter just to keep the fridge going. The original medium size battery that came with the coach was depleted in 24 hours or less when running the fridge. If I could choose, I would choose a 3 way fridge, but I think if I had to choose between propane and 12v I would choose propane, just for less worries with the batteries.

Mike
Mike, Thank you for sharing with the group...
I thin kthat the compressor only fridges are great if you have a healthy battery bank and at least 100W of solar power to keep everything in a happy-happy state...even while driving.
But, nevertheless, it is a viable option to mobile refrigeration, and possibly safer than an absorption fridge running o propane.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #17
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You can get a replacement cooling unit for your existing fridge, they usually run about half the price of a new fridge, though.
IIRC, the fridge in your Argosy is an under the counter model that in theory should be easy to replace with a similar unit from Dometic.
I've called RVfridge, RVicebox, and rvrefrigeratorrepair (all .com's) None of them think they can repair my model, RM45. Or suggest 2 months or more and even then are not sure if they can do it. I guess I'm buying a new Dometic RM2351 (or the 3-way 2354) that is a smidge smaller. I'd rather spend $200 more than the repair just to be relatively certain it will work for awhile.

I'll show my work if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the input!! Airforum rules!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
What are the dimentions you need?
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #19
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
according to this chart
http://www.dometic.com/71390b03-95e5...405775ef.fodoc
and cross referencing model RM45 I need 31 1/4H x 21 13/16W x 24D Which rings true to what I recall measuring (don't have the measurements handy). The new smaller unit is actually nearly the same cu-ft inside since they've improved materials/equipment since 1972. It really will not be too big a deal.