Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Norcold Recall Update from 2002

Fire Hazard Recall

I was glancing through my new Good Sam "Highways" magazine today and noticed a two page ad from Norcold - updating a recall initially done in 2002. A search through these forums indicated two postings in 2002 - so I decided to start a new thread. I know Airstream has used Dometic for a long time, but many of us may know people with SOB's - and some have replaced their Dometics with Norcolds.

The 4 door units will be found in RV's made from 1997 to 2003
and 2 door units will be found in RV's made from 1999 to 2000

The Model number plate is found inside the door of the refrigerator in the upper right corner. Models to look for:
4 door: 1200LR 1200LRIM 1201LRIM
2 door: N621 N641 N821 N841 1082

Serial numbers for the cooling unit are found by removing the exterior intake vent cover - the cooling unit's serial number is in plain sight on the unit's lower right side. Serial numbers affected are:
4 door: 700000 to 1536607
2 door: 1028000 to 1099000

Norcold is advising that you turn the controls to OFF and unplug it from the AC power source.
Contact Norcold at 800-767-9109 or
www.norcold.com/recall

Your refrigerator will be repaired at no cost to you (The ad also says "IF YOUR REFRIGERATOR QUALIFIES AND WE REPAIR IT AT NO COST TO YOU, WE WILL SEND YOU A $50 GAS CARD).

Sounds like they're trying to do the right thing.

that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Kernersville , North Carolina
Red face Recall info for all Refers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Fire Hazard Recall

Sounds like they're trying to do the right thing.
Just to add a tidbit here. All of the refer recalls are to ensure one thing, safety. On some of these units what has been learned is that once the circuit boards get old, they fail and lock open. When they do that, the heat stays on to the point that it burns a hole in the cooling unit which is very flammable. The recall is a safety feature that turns the heat off if it gets too hot.
It has always been a great source of frustration to a customer who has the recall done and believes that their refrigerator was working fine, and after the recall it stopped working. What really was going on is that they had a dangerous situation and the recall did its job.
Both ,Norcold and Dometic had a very similar recall. If there is ever a recall issued for your unit it is a VERY good idea to have it done. Dometic was even paying for the recall on units that did not qualify.
What I learned in my many years at the Out-of-Doors Mart is there is a diagnostic mode on most of these refrigerators. Once into a diagnostic mode the fault history can be erased eliminating a lot of problems. The fault history was designed to give the technician the inside tract as to where a unit was failing. Not necessarily having anything to do with a recall.
I learned that sometimes a refrigerator, with the recall, would lock open and it would shut down. I would then clear the history and the unit would work just fine. That would save the customer the expense of the repair or replacing the refrigerator.
I cannot say it worked all the time. It did work about 1 inch 5 times. I am not saying this to have any one try this without the safety recall. I am saying this because sometimes these companies will pay for the recalls but will not pay for the repair of the unit if it is outside of warranty. And if you can get this to work for you it might save you some money.
There are many different refrigerators and each has it’s own way to get into a diagnostic mode on these units. Just to give you an idea of how it is done on a couple of units ( N620, N 621, N 820, N 821) here goes. You hold down the TEMP SET and the MODE buttons for 5 seconds. That will take you to diagnostic screen one. You then press the MODE button ( 2 seconds between each press) five more times. That will take you to diagnostic screen six which is to erase the fault history. You then hold down the TEMP SET button for 5 seconds. Then a “C” will appear for 2 seconds. Then a “L” will appear for 2 seconds. You then hold down the TEMP SET button again for 5 seconds. Then a “E” will appear for 2 seconds. Then a “r” will appear for 2 seconds. Then hit the mode button which will take you to diagnostic screen seven. You can then turn your refrigerator off, and cut it back on for testing.
I say again, recalls should always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always always be done.
Sometimes the manual that comes with refrigerator has how to clear the history. If it does not, (most don't ) on your specific unit, you may call tech support and they MAY walk you through it if you ask specifically how to clear the fault history. If you have had the recall done and your unit is shutting down it is worth a try to save yourself the repair cost, provided your unit is not under warranty.
Dan

Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #3

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
An update: Norcold has extended this recall to include all 1200 series fridges. please check their website for details.

Norcold Recall

Parts needed: Vinyl folding door hangers circa mid-sixties

Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Tub City , British Columbia
Even if your refrigerator was repaired as part of a previous recall, it is necessary to have it repaired again to minimize the risk of injury or death due to fire.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
An update: Norcold has extended this recall to include all 1200 series fridges. please check their website for details.

Norcold Recall
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
Happy to say that I couldn't make the recall numbers match on the NORCOLD in this "new" TT. 2002 model unit. Thanks for updating information.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote