Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #1

1971 25' Tradewind
Roland , Oklahoma
Norcold Blues

I am a newbie to Airstreams, having become the 3rd owner of a '71 Tradewinds. I believe it to have set the last 4 to 5 years, virtually unused, just aquiring mold and
mildew. Cleaning became the 1st order of business. Checking out the major systems
is next. The 1st system to be worked out is the Norcold 3-way refrigerator. On 110
the rectifier gets blazing hot-to-the-touch, the condenser stays cool, and no change in
internal temp of the refer. In reading the manual, it recommends pulling the unit and
laying it on its left side for 1 hour or more. Two questions: 1. Is there anything I could
do to first to forego pulling the unit? 2. Is the left side the one closest to the rectifier
tube?
I will thank you for the help that this forum has already provided. This will, probably, be the first of many questions. Again, Thank you.
RxRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
It's often been said that the best thing for a stubborn re-frig is to take it for a short trip on a bumpy road..Kinda shakes it up..no guarantees but worth a try..
btw, it's been my experiences that rectifiers will get very hot~
BE WARNED about TOUCHING THAT..In fact, I'd recommend you do not.. You're dealing with some life threatening current there..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #3

1971 25' Tradewind
Roland , Oklahoma
Thank you, 53Flying Cloud

I greatly appreciate the advice. As I have the trailer, good and level now, I'll
probably remove the Norcold and lay it on it's side. I won't be grabbing the
rectifier anymore, though. Thanks again.
RxRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
why dont you just run propane?....it takes about 3 hours to get the frig to cool down...if after that time it isnt working, you could pull it
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote