Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
san antonio , Texas
Norcold 626

I picked up one in Austin for free, with the purchase of an off-white princess gas range!

The Norcold is working great on propane, but a previous owner removed the heating element. Thankfully they replaced the retainer screws, just not the element. So I have nothing to go by.
I have done my due diligence in searching archives for a source for a replacement. But the threads are old and websites are no longer around.

Sadly Norcold wasn't around yet either back in '58 when my Overlander was built, but I'm sure Wally won't mind if it's a few years off!
I'm also wondering out loud, whether the refrigerator sat on a raised platform over a low cabinet, or was it mounted right to the floor. Mine got a cheap 110v refrigerator cut into the cabinet, and of course they hacked it up to make it fit.
I'm one step closer to boondock-ability.
Thanks for any useful advice!
-Kevin
rusty_apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I wonder if any heating element that is the correct diameter and length, from another fridge would work? All it does is heat like a gas flame. Someone with more experience will know the answer. If I am right, it should not be too hard to find a replacement.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
san antonio , Texas
Thanks!
It would be easier if I had the old on to match it up with. According to the i.d. plate it's supposed to use 2.2 amps max.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A good RV parts place should be able to come up with the correct heater for your Norcold. Bring them the model number and let they do their magic.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
san antonio , Texas
Thanks much, I'll give it a shot!
Just a note. My dad told me that when the refrigerants separate in the system after sitting a long time and they will stop working. Turning the unit upside down momentarily will mix them enough to make it work again. Probably jostling around on the trip from Austin mixed things up enough for it to begin working when I lit it!