Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Norcold 6062 not cooling

I bought a used fridge a while back with some broken electronics. The guy assured me that it worked great but the the circuit boards were just shot. Upon arrival it was very clear that they were bad. Just last week I finally got around to fixing them and got it all fired up. I heard the bubbling and felt some heat on the back side but that was about it.

I let the fridge run on AC power over night and when I checked it in the morning everything was still warm. At this point I wasn't happy but I figured that the heating unit was old and weak. I managed to get fix the propane leak and got the lines run for that. It fired right up! Got nice and hot and I could even feel a little bit of cooling on the back side and in the freezer. I was think that I wasn't doomed. Well I let it run almost all day yesterday and when I checked on it at night everything was warm on the inside. I didnt even feel any cooling like I did earlier in the day.

I am starting to think that the cooling unit is clogged. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help fix this? I would really like to not have to replace it but that is looking like my only option at this point.
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If the electric mode gets hot, and no cooling, and the propane gets hot, but no cooling, and you have waited long enough (you have) I would say you have a cooling system issue in the ammonia/water side itself. I am assuming your unit is level when you have made the tests.

There is little to nothing you can do to repair a defective cooling unit yourself. Rebuilt replacements are available for about half the cost of a new refrigerator. Many have had success with them, others have wound up spending a lot of money and in a couple of years are back to no cooling.

The person who sold you the unit burned you badly.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Unfortunately that is what I was afraid of. I am not sure if I want to do the replacement just because this fridge has become a headache. I would almost rather just pick up a new one and not worry anymore.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
No! Wait! Before you spring for a new fridge, please try "tumbling" this one. Basically, you take it out and turn it upside-down and so on. Search on this forum and generally via Google for better info.

You might save yourself a grand for a couple hours' work.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
I actually did try this last night. On Monday I took the fridge out and flipped it over. Last night I flipped the fridge upright in my garage and this morning I plugged everything into the AC. When I left the house for work everything was bubbling pretty good (sounded good and strong) compared to before and stuff did feel cool to the touch. Not sure if thats because my garage was fairly cool or not but we will see what happens at lunch today. Cross your fingers!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I am not aware that refers make any kind of bubbling noise.
Maybe it's because you flipped it and it will take some time to settle down.
Good Luck.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
I believe its because the boiler is heating the amonia/water solution and thats what you hear bubbling. I guess we will find out in about 3 hours or so if thats what is supposed to happen.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Right you are. The boiling separates on from the other. The rerecombination of the two provides the cooling effect.

I can tell you in pretty good detail how a lithium bromide absorption cycle works, but I'm not good on the ammonia systems.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Well it's toast. The fridge has been running in my garage for thirteen hours and the freezer is still reading about 60 degrees. I've decided to give up on it. I've wasted enough time and money on it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Airstream Forums mobile app