Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
brewster , New York
Non-working frefrigerator

I replaced my older Dometic RM100 refrigerator with a newer model and was using the Rm100 in my garage on AC power. The 100 stopped working all of a sudden and I want to dispose of it. Is getting rid of a RV refrigerator the same as one with freon? I think these use ammonia?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DometicRM100.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	229411  
blumob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yes Ammonia is the cooling agent. However, if you don't smell leaking ammonia, the repair cost could be minor. If the ammonia is leaking it's a throw out. (I'd put it out on big trash day with the doors off, and just label it "RV refrigerator, ammonia coolant all leaked out").

Could be something as simple as a fuse. Or maybe a circuit board. Many of these old refers will last for 30+ years. If you just don't want it around, why not give it away on the classifieds. Someone will pick it up and fix it.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
If you want a diagram of the electrical side of the refrigerator, try the manufacturers website. Quite often they'll have .pdf copies of the manuals online.

Paula
Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
brewster , New York
Thank you, I even with the diagram I can't locate the fuse?
blumob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Don't toss that RM100 in the garbage. Someone will want it, as-is with a disclaimer.

Even if the ammonia has leaked out, it is possible to replace the cooling unit with a rebuilt one. That is admittedly expensive, yet cheaper than a new RV fridge.

This is probably one of the better boondocking fridges ever made in that it is regulated by thermocouples and draws no power when running on propane. A lot of these that have been removed from RVs are now installed in off-grid cabins.

Put it on ebay or craigslist with a disclaimer that it doesn't work and let the buyer pay the shipping. I'll bet you could get close to $100 for it.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
As an electrician I've got just enough sense to not stick a fork in an outlet (watched my brother do that when we were kids). What I'd do first is unplug it, then go to the panel and start pulling and reseating any electrical connections I can find. Also look at the switch that allows you to select propane vs. electrical vs. "auto" if you have that option. If one of the wires has come loose there that could fix the problem.