Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Thanks I’ll give that a try, back to you. Yes NY
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:43 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
The fan is on a thermostat. If you are in NY now there is a good chance that it just did not get hot enough to turn the fan on. Follow the positive lead from the fan and you should find a thermostat probably attached to the refrigerator coils. Put a heat gun or hair dryer to it and see if the fan turns on or just bypass the thermostat to make sure the fan works.
Agreed...a simple jump across the two stat contacts will be easiest, and also instantaneous. A paperclip should work in a pinch if you don't have some wire.

You also may want to check the fuse...in my case near the backside of the switch in the refer compartment. Might be wrapped. up with the excess wire.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Thanks for the help I used the hair dryer method, worked beautifully new fan works. Side Note that may be helpful to others. When the refrigerator is turned off so does the fan. I had an Airstream Dealer tech initially look at it, the tech had no idea how the system operate, very disappointed in the level of knowledge, puzzled don’t they attend Airstream training. Again thanks for your willingness to help.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:33 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Thanks for the help I used the hair dryer method, worked beautifully new fan works. Side Note that may be helpful to others. When the refrigerator is turned off so does the fan. I had an Airstream Dealer tech initially look at it, the tech had no idea how the system operate, very disappointed in the level of knowledge, puzzled don’t they attend Airstream training. Again thanks for your willingness to help.
I think the installation of the fans vary. Some have a cutoff switch inside location of the fan ect. I’ve been going nuts this summer trying to get my fridge to operate more efficiently. I’ve added fans which by the way too may will have a negative effect. The problem was during operation on propane. In the end the culprit was the propane regulator.

If you have poor performance next summer send me a message and I’ll help you step through some things.

Jimmy
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Playa del Rey , California
Noisy refrigerator fan

Hi all. I just purchased a 2019 FC 25 RB Twin. On the first trip I noticed the refrigerator fan was noisy. The fan supplied by airstream is had a few things going against it. The motor is a high clogging motor with a sleeve bearing. That combination creates noise.
After replacing it with a ball bearing fan from Digikey it was also noisy. My dealer had a a replacement fan for $144 only to find out it was a $16 fan marked up beyond reason.
I used to work as a mechanical designer at a cpap company and we built the quietest motors and blowers in the industry.
So I looked for a low dB fan and found Noctua fans. I replaced the single noisy fan with 2 of the noctua fans on a polyethylene mount I built. The fans are so quiet you can’t hear them. I’ll be live testing them next week.
Click image for larger version

Name:	5ADE28A6-3705-4D18-BDF8-2F393EFDD1E1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	349879
MichaelBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
here is the link to our fridge and fan solution
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ge-195383.html
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:44 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Evanston , Illinois
We've got the same trailer and the same problem. Was it difficult to identify which wires were which? I've got two of those fans in my basket. Let me know if you've got any tips for the wiring. Thanks
CZPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZPQ View Post
We've got the same trailer and the same problem. Was it difficult to identify which wires were which? I've got two of those fans in my basket. Let me know if you've got any tips for the wiring. Thanks
I'll look for my post of a couple years ago...maybe the 20 footers thread or rays's master noisy refer thread. It has pics of wiring leads.

But for now, strip the wires on the fan, one is speed limit, one + ( copper?) and a - silver. You can test it on the battery posts, seems there is only one wzy toconnect. Reverse polarity doesn't turn it on backwards. Or turn on the refer fan, jump the stat and touch the leads til the fan turns on.

B
Old 02-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
MY wish: Airstream figure out something else

My FIX for a noisy exhaust fan for the Refrigerator was finding a replacement on the Internet that was only 'less noisy'.

My permanent FIX was NOT to purchase any Trailer using this system.

Some threads after 2006 discussed LESS noisy fans, multiples of good fans, Brands of fans.... some Computer Fans that are the least noisy. I suspect that all get noisy. Some Forum Members are really creative and displayed their creations.

I will never, ever, for ever purchase ANY trailer that uses a fan to cool down a Dometic Refrigerator. An absolute HELL for those who have good hearing. Worse if it is 3AM and it is whirring and buzzing.

The ONLY Airstream I would purchase MUST have the HEAT from the Coils, drawn up through the roof of the trailer. If the trailer has the FAN... I walk.

I spent more time with our 2006 Safari and 2014 International trying out Snap Switches that WORK for awhile... and Fans that were less noisy. I carried SPARES. I propped the exhaust fan Door OPEN with a stick. If the stick blew away while camped, I would tape the door UP.

I prefer Chigger bites on my forehead more than this Medieval Device of... Torture!

If you are going to try some alternatives... carry spare fuses.

(Added after posting: Nancy reminded me when Off the Grid on batteries... the Snap Switch would not disconnect the Fan and the cooling coils were COLD, while draining the batteries. I would unplug the snap switch, reconnect and the Fan went OFF. This would be at 2AM. I even would unplug the fan, open the vent door, taped it to the trailer.)

If the 14 inch Marathon Tires were on top of my Never to Have Owned list... these fans are tied for First Place.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Here is the wiring ID https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ml#post1774433

#711post

Bob
Old 04-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #51

2017 16' Sport
Seattle , WA
Quick Instruction On Replacing the Dometic Fan with a Quiet One!

This is my first post, but I wanted to be helpful to those who want to replace their refrigerator fan with a much quieter one.

1. I purchased this fan based on recommendations here in the forums;
Noctua NF-F12 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2d1aecb8a71c5a

2. I removed the stock fan, but unscrewing it and clipping the wires. (red and black)

3. Here is the part that took me a minute to figure out: Wiring.
The fan comes with 4 wires connected to a pin.

First, clip off the pin at the end of the wires connected to the fan.

Then, you will only need to connect the yellow wire (+12v) and the black wire (Ground). The yellow fan wire connects to the red wire connected to the refrigerator. The black fan wire connects to the black (or blue) wire connected to the refrigerator.

The other wires are not needed for the fan to function.

I did it today and it only took 20 minutes. The new fan fit right into the holes for the original fan, I used the screws from the original fan. (I did not use the rubber connectors included with the fan.) The new fan is so quiet that I had to go back outside a couple times today to ensure that it was actually running.

Success!
MyTinyShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums. Would you mind posting a pic of your installed fan? I have the same issue and was wanting to replace mine but mine mounts horizontally. It looks like the holes in your new fan are designed so it mounts vertically??
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:29 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
MyTinyShiny, thanks I ordered one to replace a replacement thot was no better than the original will post my results. Noisy fan is a real annoyance. Thanks
Old 04-26-2021, 10:34 PM   #54

2017 16' Sport
Seattle , WA
Pictures: Fan Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums. Would you mind posting a pic of your installed fan? I have the same issue and was wanting to replace mine but mine mounts horizontally. It looks like the holes in your new fan are designed so it mounts vertically??
Here you go! Pic of the install, using the original fan screws and the new fan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	394241  
MyTinyShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:35 PM   #55

2017 16' Sport
Seattle , WA
You bet! Glad it was helpful!