Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
New Refrigerator for 1971 Safari?

My fridge works fine on electric but the propane parts don't work and are not worth repairing. We want to try more boondocking this year and I want to replace it with a new electric/propane one. Does anyone have any experience as to what brand of refrigerator will fit in the space available in the 71 Safari? I could really use some advice on this before I take it to the dealer and have him order a new one.

In addition I would like to order a small generator for boondocking also. I have read some threads about members who have ordered kits to convert the gas models to propane. I'm not that handy and I wonder if there are any propane generators available in the market that run on propane? In searching the Net all I can find are gas powered ones.

Larry
Larry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Larry, what dimensions, height and width, are your current fridge?
The Honda Eu1000 and Eu2000 are both very good, quiet, economical generators, with the advantage they are pretty lightweight. They are also easily convertable to LP, I am sure you can do a forum search on "generator LP conversions" and find info here on how to do it. Many forum members have done so, and posted about it.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Smile 71 Safari

I don't have any info on your ref. question. However, I just made a super improvement on our 71 Safari. As you probably know, the city water hook up on these models is a bit of troube. l had an Airstream dealer order a Surflow city water hook up fixture like the ones on the newer models. Cut a 3.5 inch hole in the outside body and attached it with stainless screws. Since it easy to access the inside of the body in the area behind the toilet, It was a snap to hook up flexible PVC inside. My life is now complete.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Dbraw,

I'm sure that you can have a new propane section replaced in your fridge for WAAAYYYY LESS than the cost of a new fridge!! If it's running well on AC then the unit is basically sound. You need a new gas valve, burner and tube, igniter and electrode and maybe a new DSI board. Even with all of this, still way cheaper than a new box!!!!

Give me your model number and I can look up what will fit.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's too bad Larry lives so far away from us, I have two fully functional two way fridges in our garage...
Old 03-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Hi Lew,

Thanks for your thoughts. The dealer has told me in the past that the parts I need to repair the fridge are no longer available. It is an AB Electrolux Model RM60, Product # 9262601, Serial # 944 0472. Even if I could buy the repair parts I am not qualified to do the repair so I would have to go back to the dealer. Do you think it would still be worthwhile paying for the repairs rather than investing in a new unit?

Larry
Old 03-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
Hi Lew,

Thanks for your thoughts. The dealer has told me in the past that the parts I need to repair the fridge are no longer available. It is an AB Electrolux Model RM60, Product # 9262601, Serial # 944 0472. Even if I could buy the repair parts I am not qualified to do the repair so I would have to go back to the dealer. Do you think it would still be worthwhile paying for the repairs rather than investing in a new unit?

Larry
Elelctrolux, huh? Well, I suppose that without the right replacement parts, it would increase the difficulty factor exponentially!!!! I foolishy made the assumption that you had either a Dometic or Norcold for which parts are still available.

I'll try to search in my data base to see if I have the dimensions associated with your fridge to see what replacement model would fit.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
New Dometic

Larry,

It seems that Electrolux and Dometic are/were the same company. Don't know when they linked up, but I found an exact reference to a Dometic RM60 unit. If yours measures 39 3/16 H X 21 7/8 W X 23 5/8 D you can get a new direct exact replacement for it with a Dometic RM2410.

HOWEVER......knowing that I am dealing with Dometic now, I will speak with their tech department to see if they have the gas parts available. Get back with ya in a couple of days.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Elelctrolux, huh? Well, I suppose that without the right replacement parts, it would increase the difficulty factor exponentially!!!! I foolishy made the assumption that you had either a Dometic or Norcold for which parts are still available.

I'll try to search in my data base to see if I have the dimensions associated with your fridge to see what replacement model would fit.
Lew,

Dometic still uses the RM prefix for its refigerators. There is a connection between Electrolux and Dometic, but I cannot easily find exactly what. Isn't there a Dometic model RM60?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:36 AM   #10
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I replaced my fridge in my '71 with a Dometic Freedom series RM2510. It was a pretty smooth swap.

Biggest part was removing the bulkhead wall to the left of the fridge, then it was pretty simple after that.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Larry,

It seems that Electrolux and Dometic are/were the same company. Don't know when they linked up, but I found an exact reference to a Dometic RM60 unit. If yours measures 39 3/16 H X 21 7/8 W X 23 5/8 D you can get a new direct exact replacement for it with a Dometic RM2410.

HOWEVER......knowing that I am dealing with Dometic now, I will speak with their tech department to see if they have the gas parts available. Get back with ya in a couple of days.
I'm with ya!
Old 03-14-2006, 07:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
New Treck-knowlegry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
My fridge works fine on electric but the propane parts don't work and are not worth repairing. We want to try more boondocking this year and I want to replace it with a new electric/propane one. Does anyone have any experience as to what brand of refrigerator will fit in the space available in the 71 Safari? I could really use some advice on this before I take it to the dealer and have him order a new one.

Larry
Larry,
Do you want to change the venting system to be like the new power vents?
Would that be better than the old roof vent?
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Lew,

Thanks for looking up the new model for me. I'll wait to hear from you before I get the dealer to order a replacement for me.

Larry
Old 03-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
It's too bad Larry lives so far away from us, I have two fully functional two way fridges in our garage...
Terry, you and I may need to talk in the near future! My original 2-way is not working presently, but I haven't had a chance to trouble-shoot and find out why. Just haven't gotten that far in the restoration.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote