Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Well, strangely, my last night and the refrig has decided to start working. I have solid ice in the freezer. Go figure.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds to me like you might have a problem on the 12volt side of the system. I would check for a bad common/ground connection. Since it has a fan there must be a 12volt source.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
same ole problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Sounds to me like you might have a problem on the 12volt side of the system. I would check for a bad common/ground connection. Since it has a fan there must be a 12volt source.
Well, the fridge returned to the same bad behavior. No freezing, and off and on again cooling.
Today I checked the ac and dc connections, as well as the 2 fuses inside the power module. Also looked for bad ground connections, as well as dc power to the terminal block. All correct voltages were present, all connections ohmmed out correctly, and grounds appeared to be present were they should be. Also, the fan runs most, but not all of the time. And in gas only mode, the gas heater starts up instantly.

And the problems still appears (weak, intermittent cooling) whether on gas only or auto mode.

Time to contact warranty service. I hope this isn't going to be a hassle since I can't really determine whether it is the Airstream installation or the Dometic refrigerator that is at fault.

I was thinking of C&G trailer service in Bellflower. That's a little over an hour from me, but much closer than where I bought it (San Diego). I notice a lot of streamers on the forum swear by them.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Well I did go to C&G last Monday and they had me try it out for a couple days without the thermostat. It worked great so they have ordered a new thermostat on warranty from Dometic. Didn't cost me anything and service was excellent. I highly recommend them. (they have also ordered a new control board for my tank monitor from Airstream. These seem to be bad alot).
Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Follow up

Thought I would post a follow up on this problem. It was the thermostat in the fridge that was bad. C&G of Bellflower, CA replaced it under warranty. They also fixed my bad monitor system that was not accurately reporting on tank status, In fact, it wasn't reporting my gray/black tank at all. That required dropping the tank and replacing sensors. They also fixed some loose rubber spline that was coming out of the edges of my "sunglass" window covers, and relocated the smoke detector from over the stove (where it went off every time I heated water) to over the bed....
ALL AT NO CHARGE WHATSOEVER TO ME. The last item wasn't even a warranty item, just bad design, but they did it free and covered the old holes with new rivets. Can't even tell the detector was ever there.

It took a couple of trips down there due to their needing to order parts and get manufacture authorization for the fixes, but they took care of everything. All I had to do was drive it down and bring it back home.

I highly recommend C&G for all your Airstream repairs, if you are anywhere near Southern California. It's a family business, with a long history with Airstream.