Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
New gaskets

I think the gaskets in my RM-100 are shot. I've priced out new ones and they are at least $100. I'll spend the money for new ones but I'm concerned that I'll put the money into new gaskets and the cooling unit will die. Of course I could then replace the cooling unit but I'm wondering at what point I should consider a new fridge.

Has anyone made gaskets themselves? I'm notice the originals are simply mitred in the corners so if I could find something similar locally I could just cut them to fit.
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
what is shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradB View Post
I think the gaskets in my RM-100 are shot. I've priced out new ones and they are at least $100. I'll spend the money for new ones but I'm concerned that I'll put the money into new gaskets and the cooling unit will die. Of course I could then replace the cooling unit but I'm wondering at what point I should consider a new fridge.

Has anyone made gaskets themselves? I'm notice the originals are simply mitred in the corners so if I could find something similar locally I could just cut them to fit.
Do you mean it is shot because it is not keeping the hot air out? Putting clear silacon behind it to get a tighter fit will help that. If it is torn not so much help.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Yes, it doesn't seem to seal very well. Nothing damaged about the gasket other than being 37 years old.
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
South Jordan , Utah
Hi, yes, I'm frustrated by this too. I did find replacements available from adventurerv.net, but damn, are they expensive! I also found that there are several manufacturers who will custom make seals, with the requisite magnetic core, to your specifications. I'm surprised that some enterprising person hasn't had this made and is selling them for a fraction of the $160 Dometic price tag on eBay.
shane_franz is offline   Reply With Quote