Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
New frig in 90 degree outside temperture

What is up with a new frig. that cannot keep the temperature at around 42 with outside temperatures in the 90's on either gas or electric? It is about 50 something where the food is.

It is level, the vent is not clogged, it is about a year old and has a small fan blowing up in the back of the unit.

Thanks,

David (silver 67)

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
La Follette , Tennessee
David:

I have our 325 in my hanger here at TN 44. It has not left since August of 2009. Cara and I have lived in in since we are between jobs and house. Our Dometic classic was giving us the same problem up until two nights ago. I spent hours pouring over the threads on refers and had run out of ideas. We decided to try to defrost the freezer which was heavily frosted and working quite well. Along with that, and the reason I mentioned it has not moved in 4 years, i got to thinking about vapor lock. I went to the tool box and grabbed a small ballpeen hammer and tried to simulate potholes in the road. I lightly tapped and tinged on the coils about 6-8 times and put away the hammer. We woke up to 32* yesterday and 27* this morning. Not sure which was the cure, but our temps are down 20*. Our outside ambient temp has been from 65* - 82* thanks to a trough stalled out in the region. Hope this will help.

Kevin and Cara

God Bless America!
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Maybe the 90 degrees outside is not indicating what the ambiant temp the fridge must defeat. Inside trailer temp, fridge compartment temp, is the sun on the outside of the fridge compartment. Our new fridge struggled in these conditions one day in New Mexico.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote