Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Teeswater , Ontario
New fridge on the Outs?

Hi there. My husband installed a brand new Dometic fridge in our Airstream last March (3.5 months ago). Has been working brilliantly up until a few days ago. The temperature started to climb inside and we were careful to watch it. It's been hot and humid, and then I noticed the fins had lots of ice on it (and the freezer needed a thaw). Fair enough. Left it overnight, thawed, cleaned and turned back on. It's been 9 hours (very warm today at 26 degrees Celsius) but not extraordinarily so) and we have the awnings out to cover the fridge and the A/C on inside.

The fridge has been almost empty to bring it back up to a cold temp (inside is a mini fan to help with circulation). The fridge is coolish but 16 degrees F is well within the red line of of temp gauge and the freezer at 10 degrees (Celcius? doesn't say but noticeably cooler than the fridge). Should we put cold food in it to help make the fridge work less hard at keeping it cool? I'm thinking that that'll just spoil our food and not help in keeping it cool. Our 20 year old fridge had it up to temp when defrosted and cooled far quicker. This is our first attempts at defrosting.

I looked at the back of the fridge .... small yellow stain on the aluminum floor that I don't remember seeing before. But no ammonia smell. Any thoughts? Don't necessarily want to lose any more food with the failing temps. BRAND NEW fridge not working? Advice please! Will leave it empty overnight, and if still not working efficiently, will call Dometic and look to the airforums for help.

Thanks for listening and any advice.
skydiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Skydiva I would say that the small yellow stain you can see is an indication that the cooling unit has failed and has leaked out. You won't always smell ammonia. I would call Dometic as the fridge is only 3.5 months old and will be under warranty. they will give you some grief because you installed it yourself and will try and blame the failure on installation error. Hopefully you sent in your warranty card.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
How about the warranty, I would think Dometic or your dealer where you purchased the frig would be the first place to go for help and advice. IMHO.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote