Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
New Fridge intalled w/pics

I put in a new AC Avanti 7.5cf refer looks good fits almost perfect and works great. I still have to trim around it a little.

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...ew_fridge1.jpg

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...ew_fridge3.jpg

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...ew_fridge4.jpg

Install was a breeze had to cut out 1 bolt in the back but just sit this one in and plugged in.
TN-TUNDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The refer looks great; nice job.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
Thanks! The old one jusk puked all of it's ammonia. The cost for this was only $289 plus shipping.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
So how do you keep stuff cold when you're on the road?

I looked at an AS for sale a few months back, and the ad said "new refer"...it was an AC only Refer...no good for boondocking...got to have a Propane/AC model for me!
Old 08-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
So how do you keep stuff cold when you're on the road?

I looked at an AS for sale a few months back, and the ad said "new refer"...it was an AC only Refer...no good for boondocking...got to have a Propane/AC model for me!
I have a 3000 watt inverter but haven't wired it in or teted yet. I don't plan on boondocking but I have a portable generater if I do. It is more insulated then the Dometic I had. I usually put everything in a cooler and then move to the refer later. The freezer part makes ice in a couple of hours running.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Looks sharp.
How many amps does it draw?
Let us know how it works on battery!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-TUNDRA View Post
I put in a new AC Avanti 7.5cf refer looks good fits almost perfect and works great. I still have to trim around it a little.

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...ew_fridge1.jpg

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...ew_fridge3.jpg

http://www.airforums.com/attachments...ew_fridge4.jpg

Install was a breeze had to cut out 1 bolt in the back but just sit this one in and plugged in.
Interested to know what type of battery bank you intend to use to keep that puppy running while you're traveling..... Also, how do you intend to keep your batteries charges while under way? Do you have a bunch of solar panels you're hiding?

And a 3000watt inverter....what type, how efficient and what is it's draw while 'idling'? A Genny will work while parked....

So, tell us how you're going to do it.....curious minds need to know....

I run an Engel 43 quart AC/DC refer in my van from a 300 amp/hour battery bank. It has been running non-stop since installation on May 15, and only draws 2.5 amps on DC.....hardly noticeable with the big batteries......which , BTW, are now being constantly replenished with a 400 watt AM Solar charging system. I also use a Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter that is 94% efficient and has NO DRAW at idle.......
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Interested to know what type of battery bank you intend to use to keep that puppy running while you're traveling..... Also, how do you intend to keep your batteries charges while under way? Do you have a bunch of solar panels you're hiding?

And a 3000watt inverter....what type, how efficient and what is it's draw while 'idling'? A Genny will work while parked....

So, tell us how you're going to do it.....curious minds need to know....

I run an Engel 43 quart AC/DC refer in my van from a 300 amp/hour battery bank. It has been running non-stop since installation on May 15, and only draws 2.5 amps on DC.....hardly noticeable with the big batteries......which , BTW, are now being constantly replenished with a 400 watt AM Solar charging system. I also use a Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter that is 94% efficient and has NO DRAW at idle.......
Not sure yet! The inverter is a modified sine type not as good as the pure sine wave ones. I'll have to test to see if it will work. Was going to charge the batt from the TV and try that. I'll only be traveling 6-7 hours max now for any camping so I could get it cold before I go and turn back on when parked. I was thinking of using 2 deep cycle 12v in par that would give me over 200ah. I still have a few other projects before I do that though.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-TUNDRA View Post
Not sure yet! The inverter is a modified sine type not as good as the pure sine wave ones. I'll have to test to see if it will work. Was going to charge the batt from the TV and try that. I'll only be traveling 6-7 hours max now for any camping so I could get it cold before I go and turn back on when parked. I was thinking of using 2 deep cycle 12v in par that would give me over 200ah. I still have a few other projects before I do that though.
Be prepared to have you batteries discharge at a rate that your TV will not re-supply. The charging capacity of the TV (especially thru the 10-12AWG wire supplied in most wire harnesses) will not provide the amps necessary to keep your batteries up.

Better plan for a larger battery bank AND an alternative charging source (like solar) to keep your 120VAC fridge powered.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Hey lewster what are our suggestion's?

Quote:
Be prepared to have you batteries discharge at a rate that your TV will not re-supply. The charging capacity of the TV (especially thru the 10-12AWG wire supplied in most wire harnesses) will not provide the amps necessary to keep your batteries up.

Better plan for a larger battery bank AND an alternative charging source (like solar) to keep your 120VAC fridge powered.
Would it be cost effective to instead of getting a lp/electric frig to get a electric with battery bank and inverter? If it would be feasable how many batterys would you need to run frig for say 5 hours?
I am only asking because I might if it doe's not pass the test have to get another refrig andgood frig hatis gas/electric runs around 1000 bucks where as a electric same size would be @300 to 600 bucks.

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
Would it be cost effective to instead of getting a lp/electric frig to get a electric with battery bank and inverter? If it would be feasable how many batterys would you need to run frig for say 5 hours?
I am only asking because I might if it doe's not pass the test have to get another refrig andgood frig hatis gas/electric runs around 1000 bucks where as a electric same size would be @300 to 600 bucks.
There are several alternative types of refrigerator units available that operate on either 12VDC -OR- 120VAC. I have one in my van currently operating on 12VDC. It is connected to my 300 amp/hour Lifelines which are kept charged by the 4 X 100 watt solar panels on the van's roof, and draws less than 3 amps when operating. The fridge (which is a compressor type unit that can also be used as a freezer) has been quietly purring along continuously since May 15 with no problems at all. It keeps the brewskis at a perfect 34*.

I would investigate these types (Engel or Norcold brand) since they do not need an inverter to operate......giving you higher energy efficiency from the direct 12VDC connection to your battery bank.

PS: These units are also built for the rigors of the road....where household models are not!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Sun Frost also makes 12VDC fridges that might be of interest. They make some for marine applications and those might be suitable for RV use.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Are they full size like the Domitic ones? anddo they come with freezers thatwould great if they do .? and Lewster what size battery bank you run ?

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 08-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
The only drawback to a unit such as this (I had one) the doors were not engineered for the rigors of travel.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Are they full size like the Domitic ones? anddo they come with freezers thatwould great if they do .? and Lewster what size battery bank you run ?
I use a 300 amp/hour set comprised of 2 Lifeline GPL-6CT 6VDC golf cart batteries with the only charging source being 4 X 100 watt solar panels piped thru an AM Solar HPV-30DR charge controller. At full sun, I normally get between 16-20 amps charging the batteries. The battery bank has never gone below 12.6 VDC at any time running the fridge 24/7, even after 2 cloudy days with no direct sun.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Well what i undestand about newer soller cells is .

Quote:
I use a 300 amp/hour set comprised of 2 Lifeline GPL-6CT 6VDC golf cart batteries with the only charging source being 4 X 100 watt solar panels piped thru an AM Solar HPV-30DR charge controller. At full sun, I normally get between 16-20 amps charging the batteries. The battery bank has never gone below 12.6 VDC at any time running the fridge 24/7, even after 2 cloudy days with no direct sun.
They can allmost do full wattage in cloudy weather is this true?

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 08-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
They can allmost do full wattage in cloudy weather is this true?
That depends on how much light is passing thru the clouds. Some cloudy days are brighter than others, and the panels react accordingly. Today, it's very dark out with a very heavy cloud layer and I'm only getting about 10% of the normal output, but I have seen it up to about 55% when the cloud layer is white and not as thick.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Ok and the two 6 volt cart batterys?

Quote:
That depends on how much light is passing thru the clouds. Some cloudy days are brighter than others, and the panels react accordingly. Today, it's very dark out with a very heavy cloud layer and I'm only getting about 10% of the normal output, but I have seen it up to about 55% when the cloud layer is white and not as thick.
You have those in parallel to make it 12 volt so if you have 4 -6 volt cart batteys two each in parallel that should if you keep the batterys charged running a 2000 watt refrigerator for how long? with a top of line sine wave inverter? I was thinking about making a home made gereraor with a 200 amp car alternator AND a 2000 to 5000 watt sine wave inverter I have the 6 hp engine its a honda to from a old pressure washer it couldrun the 120 volt items and charge the batterys at 12 volts at the same time ..if need be ... would that be feasable?

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 08-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
With the replacement cost of an RV frig ($1000 to $1200) there has to be an alternative.

A home style replacement at $200 to $350 like TN TUNDRA you could buy a new one every 2 to 3 years and still come out ahead.

Plug it in a day before you depart everything cold and frozen and you could go for 6 to 8 hours before you would have a problem for me that's as far as I would ever drive in a day and I always stay where elec is available.

You could carry a cooler and buy whatever frozen stuff you need close to your destination.

I figure when (not if) my frige goes out I will look at doing the same thing as TN Tundra

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
Labor day weekend I'm gonna test my inverter with 1 battery running the fridge for a couple of hours and then see how many ah I put back into the battery for full charge should give me a reference of how much power it will take. Another thing about this fridge I put in was that it doesn't run ALL the time. I had it in the garage with temps in the upper 90's 50% humidity and it only kicked on a couple times in 4-5 hours. So maybe doing a plug in the night before and let it get frozen then it would pull even less power. But I know this isn't something I can always do.