Old 09-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
New fridge dilemma !

Hi all,
is there an consensus on what's best? I'm sure many here have had to think about this ! I'm replacing the original Dometic from 1972 in my Land Yacht. I don't want to mess with the cabinets and wondering if possible to re-use the wood veneer at all?

from Dometic:
Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Dometic. Okay, the RM75 is replaced by the DM2852 or the DM2862. What makes it a replacement is the venting to the outside of the camper. Both fridges are a couple inches taller, but right on on the width. The venting will line up perfectly though, which again is why that is the replacement model.
We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation and hope all of your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time to order parts or for further assistance.

Sincerely,

from Thetford:

Hello,

Assuming your cut out dimensions are 55" H x 24" W the Norcold NX841 would fit in that space:

NX841 Height Width Depth 52-7/8 in x 23-1/2 in x 24 in http://thetford.com/product/nxa641/

You can view all our refrigerators at: http://thetford.com/products/refrigerators/

If you have additional questions, please contact us.

Thank you.

Rhonda
Consumer Service
Thetford Corp/Norcold Inc.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Personally I like the Norcold interior and some of its features better. The domestics work well also.

Chances are you won't be able to reuse the door panels, they are different size doors on the newer units. You can make some new ones fairly easily and stain for a close match.

As far as the cabinets goes, if you don't want to mess with them your best bet is to get one that is slightly smaller than the hole as it will be easier to add a filler strip than make a bigger opening.

Both width and depth will be fairly close, the height will be the deciding factor.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
Hi all,
is there an consensus on what's best? I'm sure many here have had to think about this ! I'm replacing the original Dometic from 1972 in my Land Yacht. I don't want to mess with the cabinets and wondering if possible to re-use the wood veneer at all?

from Dometic:
Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Dometic. Okay, the RM75 is replaced by the DM2852 or the DM2862. What makes it a replacement is the venting to the outside of the camper. Both fridges are a couple inches taller, but right on on the width. The venting will line up perfectly though, which again is why that is the replacement model.
We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation and hope all of your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us at any time to order parts or for further assistance.

Sincerely,

from Thetford:

Hello,

Assuming your cut out dimensions are 55" H x 24" W the Norcold NX841 would fit in that space:

NX841 Height Width Depth 52-7/8 in x 23-1/2 in x 24 in http://thetford.com/product/nxa641/

You can view all our refrigerators at: http://thetford.com/products/refrigerators/

If you have additional questions, please contact us.

Thank you.

Rhonda
Consumer Service
Thetford Corp/Norcold Inc.
OK .. thanks, apologies but I'm shamelessly bumping my post for more exposure