Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Coast , Oregon
New Dometic Refer Installation

Just got a new RM 2620 from Palomino to replace a kaput RM763. (Great price and service from Palomino - thanks for the info!) The new unit has a drain tube - the old one didn't. Any suggestions as to where to locate the drain? Through the floor and belly pan? Any place in particular?
Also, the old frige seemed to be sealed to the vent area in the back - the new one is a bit shorter and will not be as close to the vent. Any sugestions how to make it "seal" better? Kinda new to this.....
k9s2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

The drain tube usually ends in a cup-sized aluminum open container. This catches any run-off when the unit is defrosted. You could use a plastic "Tupperware" style container, screwed to the floor with some sealant round the screw, or you could extend the drain tube through the floor. Trailers have suffered rot in the floor when this condensate has been allowed to overflow the container and regularly soak the wood-based flooring.
As regards the fit of the unit, it needs to fit snugly to the inside frame when viewed from inside the trailer, so that the exhaust fumes cannot enter the trailer living area when the unit is LP gas powered, but it does not need to be close to the roof vent when viewed from outside through the access hatch. Convection currents take the heat of the unit upwards through the vent in the roof. It may be that I do not understand exactly the area you are describing. If in doubt, take a photo and post it here (another learning experience), or ask someone with experience to look at it for you. You must not permit lethal exhaust fumes to enter the trailer.
Nick.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Coast , Oregon
Thank you Nick! I'm getting the hang of this...... You've answered the questions about the venting on the refrigerator. We'll be sure to seal around the unit very well so gases/co2 will vent outside. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Good Advice Nick!

Another place to locate the drain hose is right at the opening of the access door. That is the position that the factory uses on new Airstreams and it is also the same location that most MoHo manufacturers now use. Run the hose right to the end and clamp it down.

Be sure to leave that little plastic plug in the end of the hose. It serves 2 purposes: the first is to prevent insects from entering your fridge by crawling up the tube, and the second, (which is a little hard to fathom at first but is true) is to prevent a large amount of cold air from escaping from the refer box to the outside which would diminish the performance of the unit.

You can remove it to shorten the hose and them re-insert it.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lew, that's two points about that tube that are new to me, and that make a lot of sense. I shall get a plug in November, when I'm re-united with my trailer. Thanks for that.
Nick.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Coast , Oregon
Lew-our refer did not come with a plug for the hose. If one puts a plug into the tube how does the water drain? Or...is it a plug with a very small hole for water to drain yet keep out critters???? We ended up putting the hose through "both" floors and to the outside under the trailer.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The plugs have several tiny weep holes that let the water seep out. I have also seen a heat sealed flat spot on some older models that had a few openings in the sealed area. You could also accomplish this with a spring clamp and a few tooth picks.....anything that will restrict the access of critters and reduce the flow of cold air out of the refer box.

Something as simple as an interior light in the refer box that stays on will reek havock with the internal temps. That's why the plugs are usually found in the end of the drain hoses.

Also, be sure to seal around the outside of the drain tube as it goes thru both floors.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Coast , Oregon
Thanks Lew! It's so nice to have so much help on this site - literally at our fingertips! We will be sure to plug the drain tube and seal the floor/s. Hopefully the fridge will be hooked up and functional by this weekend.

By the way, do you ever get to Pistol River for windsurfing?

Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I have been several times when I was living here full time, but the wind has been so good in HR that I haven't strayed at all . I'll let you know if I'm headed that way...
Old 07-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Lew, that's two points about that tube that are new to me, and that make a lot of sense. I shall get a plug in November, when I'm re-united with my trailer. Thanks for that.
Nick.
Any time, Nick!