1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
One of the 3 R'S Reset, Reboot, Relax

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Community Organizer
2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
As far as I know, Microsoft does not manufacture the circuit boards for Dometic fridges, so a reboot should not be required.
The ground should go to the inner skin of the trailer, near where the wires go back between inner and outer skins.

Fr. Guido

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
30' 1999 Excella
Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Problem solved? Bad workmanship?

Well, this story just got better.
Last week we were back in the Vineyards campground.

This is a fabulous campsite, but my Dometic fridge doesn't like it - the fridge failed again in the middle of the night. This time the old unplug/replug didn't work. Same problem, absolutely no electricity - no lights on the front, or anything. It wasn't a mechanical problem, but an electrical one.

After an hour or so of checking fuses, I was about to give up.
That's when you start thinking logically. I figured it had to be something with the recent recall work.

I think they installed a second thermal fuse - there seems to be two in the stack, and one is very old. The other had new red wires.

I started trying to figure out if the new thermal fuse had gone bad. While tracing the wire with my finger, I hear the fridge 'click' on. Let go of wire, it 'clicks' off. Click, click, click, every time I touched it.

Traced the wire to a junction where the 12V (I assume 12V, but it was the power supply) comes it, with the thermal fuse as an interruptor. The thermal fuse wire hadn't been screwed down tight - just stuck into the hole. It couldn't be seen because that opening was in the back, out of sight.

Lots and lots of work on my part, just because the bozo who did the recall (at PPL Motorhomes) didn't tighten the screw!

Good thing I'm a decent backyard mechanic, or it would have cost me a bundle to get it fixed on the road!

Hey, its the only way to be sure!
Tin Diesel is online now   Reply With Quote