Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Delta , Alabama
Question Need help on installing Dometic RM100 fridge door seals

I have a 1977 Ambassador with a Dometic RM100 refrigerator. I just purchased new door seals from Camping World and cannot find any screws holding the old gasket. Anyone ever changed these seals and know a secret to how to get the old one off? I have called Dometic and Camping World for technical help, but nobody seems to know anything about this old fridge. Airstream manual says that there are screws in the metal plate behind the gasket, much the same as on any other fridge, but I cannot find any screws. Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated. What should be a fairly simple task is turning out to be a headache.
carol4266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Peal the old gasket back away from the plastic inner door and the screws are hidden under the gasket there. The gasket is sandwiched around the plastic inner door.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 29' Ambassador
Delta , Alabama
Dometic RM100 refrigerator door seals

Thanks for the reply. Tried that, but all we can see is a copper colored metal strip -- no screws to be found anywhere. This is a real puzzle. Do you think we have to take the door apart?
carol4266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Poulsbo , Washington
Gasket removal/replacement

I'm replying to this old thread because I've had the same issue but found no answer in this or any related thread.

My Dometic RM100 has gaskets that press into a groove; there are no screws to remove. It was tricky to remove the old gaskets without bending the copper colored trim. I used a small flatbar to pry a few inches of the gasket out of the channel, placing a thin piece of wood between the flatbar and the copper trim so as not to damage the metal. The remainder of it pulls out easily once you have enough of it pried out to actually get a grip on it with your hand.

I've ordered a replacement set off ebay and I expect the installation to be quite straight forward as long as the new set is an exact size match.
casbc is offline   Reply With Quote