Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Need help identifying RM model fridge

Hi all,

I finally took possession of my 1971 Overlander Intl 27ft this past weekend, after a year of waiting. It was a gift, so I'm not complainin' ;-)

The fridge is not working, and so far I've only been able to determine that it is a Dometic RM model, 2-door, frost-free, made in Sweden.

The plate at the bottom which shows the model/product numbers is very hard to read from dirt and wear. Can anyone advise how I can determine the exact model number, eg, is it derived from the product number?

Thanks!
Barb
happygrrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Barb,

The model # should be on the bottom right side inside the fridge. I think there is a plate or maybe sticker with the info. At least there is in mine. If you post a photo someone may be able to help out further. Since I have a '72 it maybe the same model as mine. Does it have separate freezer/fridge doors?

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your speedy reply!

There is indeed a plate in the bottom right of the fridge with the model/product/serial numbers, etc. The model section shows the letters, "RM" and then there are some other digits in the model section far to the right. The product number appears to be a long series of numbers (very hard to read, so don't think a photo would help...).

I'm assuming that the model number should be more than just "RM", right?

Barb
Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here's a link to a replacement chart showing the old models, their dimensions, and lists of what new models will replace them:http://www.dometic.com/71390b03-95e5...405775ef.fodoc
Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Yes there's more than the RM. Does your model have 2 doors? I will check mine for you.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Mine is RM 75a. The 75a is in the same silver box as the RM but a little further to the right side. Looks kind of like this:

RM __________ 75a
Forums member #29232

Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
I think we probably have the same one. If you take a photo of yours inside and out, then the outside overall measurements I can verify if mine is the same.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 08-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Terry,

Thanks for the replacement chart...that could come in handy!

Barb
Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Yay, Mary...that's it! It's the same as yours, RM75a.

Now to figure out whether it's worth getting it fixed, or just buying a replacement. I shudder to think of the work involved in removing the thing... :-o

Barb
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrly View Post
Yay, Mary...that's it! It's the same as yours, RM75a.

Now to figure out whether it's worth getting it fixed, or just buying a replacement. I shudder to think of the work involved in removing the thing... :-o

Barb
After the first 6 times, it gets easier... If you get a replacement, get a new one. Your food and your sanity will thank you.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Glad you figured it out!

Good luck with your repair/replace challenge.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 08-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
After the first 6 times, it gets easier... If you get a replacement, get a new one. Your food and your sanity will thank you.
Did you say "6 times"??

Guess I'll have to hire me some muscle to help. Or just buy a bar fridge and procrastinate removing the original fridge!
Old 08-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #13
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Barb,

Terry is saying that because he had a really bad string of "fridge follies", where he was taking out and putting in his fridge more times than a sane person could handle within a short period of time. Good thing he's not sane . I can say this because I know him as a personal friend. A friendship where a bit of insanity is required and encouraged.

Back to taking out the fridge....I believe it is usually at least a 2 person job. Terry has super powers so he did it by himself .

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 08-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
I replaced the RM 75 in both my Overlander and Sovereign with an RM 2820. The new ones are really nice and include an inside light.

I would not even think of trying to salvage the original unless it was in pristine condition.

Replacement is not difficult but you must remove the partition to the right of the unit to reveal the hold down plates (one on floor, one on outer wall) to remove the old one.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrly View Post
Did you say "6 times"??

Guess I'll have to hire me some muscle to help. Or just buy a bar fridge and procrastinate removing the original fridge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
Barb,

Terry is saying that because he had a really bad string of "fridge follies", where he was taking out and putting in his fridge more times than a sane person could handle within a short period of time. Good thing he's not sane . I can say this because I know him as a personal friend. A friendship where a bit of insanity is required and encouraged.

Back to taking out the fridge....I believe it is usually at least a 2 person job. Terry has super powers so he did it by himself .

Mary
I first went with a rebuilt cooling unit, then a refurbished used fridge with a rebuilt cooling unit, then three more replacement rebuilt cooling units (because the tubes became clogged inside the cooling unit), and finally a brand-new fridge direct from Airstream. By the time I got done replacing them, it was taking 90 minutes for every removal and re installation. Too bad Nascar doesn't have fridge swapping...
Now you know why I suggested bypassing everything in between, and going with new.
You will have to run a 12 volt power wire to the new fridge, as the RM70+xx series doesn't have a piezoelectric igniter, but a flint wheel for ignition. Other than that, it's not a tough swap.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
Barb,

Mary
Hmmm...notes to self: Terry has super powers. Mary knows Terry. Mary thinks Terry is insane. That means Mary is... ...or maybe by association

Since I don't have superpowers (at least not fridge-removing-super-powers), I think I'll learn from Terry's experience and probably go with just swapping it out rather than trying to repair it...
Old 08-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
...Too bad Nascar doesn't have fridge swapping...
If they did, you would win hands-down

Thanks for the tips...I think I'll be going the swap route!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop View Post
I replaced the RM 75 in both my Overlander and Sovereign with an RM 2820. The new ones are really nice and include an inside light.

I would not even think of trying to salvage the original unless it was in pristine condition.

Replacement is not difficult but you must remove the partition to the right of the unit to reveal the hold down plates (one on floor, one on outer wall) to remove the old one.
Thanks, Ron. Based on everyone's feedback on this topic, it looks like a swap out is the way to go.

I figured the partition might have to be removed, so it's good to have that confirmed...