Old 05-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Excella
Cloudcroft , New Mexico
Wink need a special thermostat

My units refrigerator quit working on gas AND electric. I can hook up the AC heating element direct and the fridge gets good and cold, BUT I don't need or want the heating element to have power on constantly. What kind of a thermostat can I rig up to power the heating element just when needed to maintain the temp in the Dometic?

Old 05-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfarrow View Post
My units refrigerator quit working on gas AND electric. I can hook up the AC heating element direct and the fridge gets good and cold, BUT I don't need or want the heating element to have power on constantly. What kind of a thermostat can I rig up to power the heating element just when needed to maintain the temp in the Dometic?
If you have the original Dometic reefer, the only thermostats you can use are for the gas as well as the electric.

Be prepared, as they are not cheap.

They normally are a special ordered part, since the failure rate is almost zero.

Andy

Old 05-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
What model is your fridge? Does it have the little pushbuttons and lights, or a knob or slide bar?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If it is the same as was in my 1983 34' Excella, it is the first year of the Automatic Energy System (AES), see the bottom of page A-6-2 (9 in pdf) in the Dometic Repair Manual I have attached. That means it would have a control board involved. You can follow the troubleshooting steps in the attached manual.

Since mine had several problems, including door seals that would not come close to working anymore, I replaced the whole thing. Check out http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...aes-44474.html for the story if you are interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic AES Service Manual.pdf (2.08 MB, 22 views)
Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1983 34' Excella
Cloudcroft , New Mexico
Wink special thermostat

After reading the post from VSWINGFIELD, I decided to test the thermostat like it was outlined in his post. I shorted the two leads together and "voila", it started working. I figured that I would order a thermostat, but when I put it back together, it started working with the leads connected. As I moved the panel where it is installed. it would start and then and the start again. Very erratic at first but by moving the tube of the 'stat, I have gotten it to stay on all the time.
If it does quit for good, can one thread the tube thru the unit without taking the fridge out?
Thanks much for the information. Wish I had of read this post before I started trying this and that.

John