Old 06-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
herrgirdner: Long ago, (probably 20 years) I lived in Germany and had a VW camper with an Electrolux fridge. It quit working, and I was advised by a German RV tech to take it out, and "burp" it. Did so, and the fridge worked well until we sold the camper in '96. Mind you, this was not a Dometic, nor was it in an Airstream.....
regards
Interestingly enough, that Electrolux was probably the same as a Dometic. Dometic started out as the US marketing name for Electrolux. Dometic has become the main name for the RV product company, but the story is complex. If you want to see the details, go to Dometic: Milestones.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Own the Dometic Made Famous in This Thread!...

Check the classified adds on these forums. This burped and fully functioning is now available to the highest bidder who removes it or pays to have it shipped. Airstream Haven has been sold, and everything must go to the bare walls!
I and my fellow burpmeisters can offer no assurances regarding the long term benefits of burping.

Be the first Airstream owner on your block to own a back-up, fully burped, refrigerator. Take it with you on camping trips. The possibilities are endless!

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ah, it does my heart good

A thread containing solid fact, quixotic humor and beer drinking. Does it get any better?

As Dolly Parton said to her plastic surgeon, "Thanks for the mammaries"

Paula
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Does it get any better?

oops
Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Wilmington , Delaware
Reviving the Dometic burp thread

Coaxing the Dometic RM-3604 "Royale" in my 94 Excella to begin cooling hasn't been successful. The unit is level and there's plenty of propane, 12" of propane pressure, or 120VAC. The boiler tube and absorption tank both heat up like before; it just doesn't seem to want to cool down. There's a nice blue flame

The access door vents are clear. The roof vent is clear. And no interior modifications have been made to the ventspace for the fridge.

Yes the weather here is Delaware is a little on the muggy side but I can't seem to get either the freezer or the fridge to the cool side of eighty degrees.

I've been studying this fridge forum and I've learned a great deal...

...but before I order a new fridge or a rebuilt cooling unit I decided I couldnt resist trying to "burp" the unit.

I pulled the fridge, checked and cleaned the boiler tube and baffle. They weren't sooty anyway. By the time the unit was ready to be turned upside down it had reached ambient temperature. This led me to ask this question:

Is it better to have the cooling unit warm when burping? Assuming, that is, no heat is being applied in the boiler tube via either AC or propane, should the inversion (burp) be done at a time when all the components are at ambient temp or warmed up?

Another question, (and half-serious) would some kind of massaging vibrations help with the burp? I thought of strapping the handle of my orbital sander to a supporting metal piece on the cooling unit and turning it on while the unit was inverted.

Many thanks for the helpful information you have already shared.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
I think if the vibrations helped it would be enough to just take the rig out for a rough ride. Chances are that it could do damage to induce vibrations like that.
It shouldn't make much difference what the temperature is, as you are trying to move or break-up an air bubble in the lines.
There are two kinds of blockage though, and burping seems to be effective with an air bubble only, not a crystalline buildup. I would burp first and check the results. If its not improving with that I would do like Artstream does: beat it with a stick! He reached behind his refer with a stick and played calliope on the tubes back there. It worked for his unit!
At that point it would have been going to the dump anyway, so why not take out some of those pent-up aggressions on it? If I had to buy a new $1,000.00 fridge I would want to beat the heck out of something, and what better to use than your old one?

Cheers, Rich

P.S. My fridge is 45 years old and still making the gin syrupy! Ya gotta love that!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You all are missing one very important step in the frig burping job - that is you need at least a six pack of beer for the project - I've done 2 friges and both times my friends were sceptical it would work - even my buddy who is a top notch RV mechanic - but lo and behold it worked! The first one I did was still running great after 5 years! - That one took about 3 six packs to complete..

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #36
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Burping and beer. A combination like that makes sense to me.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Please forgive the lack of reference to beer in my earlier post.

Rich
Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Wilmington , Delaware
Burping and six packs

Okay. I knew it was only a matter of minutes before the theories started reappearing about the number of six packs needed to successfully complete the burp.

There's only one place in that fridge where I want the six packs and that place isn't close to getting cold, even a little.

All I want is another four months out of it. Working on the fridge is a great excuse to use in say, December, when I need to "be alone in my mancave." It is ridiculous to buy ice to keep my beer cold while I work on my fridge. The Airstream purchase was intended to escape irony, not create more of it.

My eighteen hour burp inducting inversion didn't help. BTW, I can play "76 Trombones" using the coils as a xylophone. That hasn't helped either, obviously. Tonight I left the fridge on (well at least the little flame bulb was on) and before I left I reached up through the the access panel and gave the old girl a good spanking all up and down that cooling unit.

You're right. It did make me feel better. (And cheaper than two six packs.)

Tomorrow morning, if there's no cooling happening in that unit, I'm gonna pull the fridge again and whack it good -while it's inverted and the coils are warm. Then turn it upright and give it another day.

Then I'm gonna find that inspiring thread JohnHD posted on this forum a few years ago showing how he replaced a cooling unit in a fridge almost exactly like mine. I reread it the other night and almost got inspired to swap out the cooling unit. Of course, he made it all look easy, taking photos of his hands as he completed the job. Like a friggin infomercial.

Thanks for the help. Really. Thanks.

Tom T.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #39
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
I did my big Servel at home years ago and it has gone on in burpetuity.
(bold is mine)

Best one I've heard in a long while!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Viking - its ok - its a step that gets left out by those who are not professional burpers.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Wilmington , Delaware
No burp. No belch. Nothing. Nada

Not enough six packs exist to bring that thing back to life. I sincerely appreciate all the kind and thoughtful beer consumption done by members of this forum on my Dometic's behalf.

The cooling unit is removed from the fridge box. It took less than two hours to pry it out. Would have been even less if I hadn't over-optimistically replaced the fridge mounting bolts/screws when I re-installed it.

I'm tempted to prop the old cooling unit upright and hook up the AC line directly to the heat element and play "Taps". But I'll let that pass. No looking back now.

I'm shopping for a replacement unit. Lots of good information on this forum and from vendors on how to perform the swap.

Any vendor advice or cautions are welcome either online or offline.

Hensley Arrow Hitch
Trailertroll is offline   Reply With Quote