Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
My Fridge needs Help...

Hi there - ha can you tell I am on a maintenance kick again - now that I have some spare cash - I need to get my baby ready for the road.

So Yep I'm in the fridge section I think - if not Mod's can shove me where I need to be - thanks....

I have a Dometic - RM 2352
Prod No. 921 1450-19
Seriel No. 424-00007

Yep it is the little mini fridge - that everyone who comes into my trailer says wow you have a dishwasher!! OMG LOL!

K - to the point here - I'm freezing up - the thermostat is obviously toast. People have said it is on the fins but I have never seen a thermostat in this fridge.

The back fins freeze up and the freezer compartment also freezes up. It never used to.

As I am full-timing in my trailer now I need to get this looked at asap.

Does anyone know where to point me to a part for this baby - I can't seem to get anywhere on the domestic site - my RM number is non-existent - maybe there is a model close to it?

Where is the thermostat located? and can I just replace that Or is this a huge job that I will have to take the fridge out oh lord I hope not!!!

At first it was freezing my food solid at 2-3-4 - now that has regulated and the fins freeze.

Maybe it is simply possessed?

Any help would be very much appreciated......

Old 07-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
When you say 'freezes up' you mean icing over right? The freezer (if ammonia type/ electric) is sort of supposed to do that. The freezer in ours gets frozen, and the cold radiates down into the lower part from it. The radiator in the lower part has been known to sometimes freeze over (by either humidity or some other means) but you just thaw it out when it's needed. There's a water catcher below the radiator when you thaw to catch the melted ice. Correct me if I am wrong.
Furthermore does yours have the propane option too?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
rvmobile.com has tons of fridge information online. Schematics so simple even I can understand them.

He's helpful on the 'phone too, but expects you to read the website before you call--impatient if you waste his time.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
When you say 'freezes up' you mean icing over right? The freezer (if ammonia type/ electric) is sort of supposed to do that. The freezer in ours gets frozen, and the cold radiates down into the lower part from it. The radiator in the lower part has been known to sometimes freeze over (by either humidity or some other means) but you just thaw it out when it's needed. There's a water catcher below the radiator when you thaw to catch the melted ice. Correct me if I am wrong.
Furthermore does yours have the propane option too?

Hi Mine is the dual - Elec/Propane.

The freezer part dose ice up - but I think that is common as it is not a frost free fridge.

I am more concerned with the fins inside the fridge that are icing up all the time. That is where I read somewhere that there is sometime of thermostat that is attached to the fins to control this. But mine never had one and I'm not sure where I can get one either.

For now I just empty the fridge once and a while throw the blow dryer in there and melt off the fins.

It never used to do this - but this past winter I forgot to turn the fridge off electric and had the door open for several weeks - I was heading out and noticed a big huge ice block all over the fins - ug - since then it is doing this icing on the fins deal - either elec or propane mode.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
TorpedoFamily

2005 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Ozark , Alabama
Call National Refrigeation in Shipsheewana, IN and he can FIX it. He has a shop on hwy 5 next to Shipsheewana North RV park. Leon is his name.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
For now I just empty the fridge once and a while throw the blow dryer in there and melt off the fins.
What are you setting the dial at down below? are you on propane right now or electric? Could be the number you have it set at..ours is set at 4.
Also you might level your trailer MORE....that might be it. I do know there is no thermostat next to the fins inside. the only control you have is that adjustment knob underneath near the floor.