Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Monitoring Fridge Performance

I recently installed a new Dometic RM2510 fridge. I was measuring the interior temperature inside using a digital thermometer. I am a home inspector, so I have this tool available. Normal home fridge temperature readings are generally in the 32-38 degree range. If it is colder than this, the fridge is generally set too low and if it is hotter than 40 degrees it may be set too high or there is a problem with fridge operation. Anything higher than 40 degrees is a concern for me as it will not keep the food cold enough in my opinion. I usually flag this as a problem area.

Anyhow, I had the fridge set on 6 and the temperature inside was about 35 degrees. The outside temperature was about 80-85 and this seemed like a decent setting. However, I checked the temperature the next morning and it was 28 degrees. Yikes! This is way too cold.

I got to thinking about the differences between home refrigerators and rv fridges. With a home fridge, you can set it and forget it because the home is heated/air conditioned and the temperature is constant. An rv is quite different. If you keep the setting constant, the fridge temperature will vary as the outside temperature changes. This necessitates knowing the fridge temperature so that the setting can be adjusted to keep the fridge cold but not too cold. For example, my fridge is set on 2 now. The inside temperature over the past 2 days has varied from 34, when the outside temperature was 74, to 38, when the outside temperature was 87. The low setting of 2 allows a reasonable interior temperature of 34-38 while minimizing the use of propane or electricity.

To monitor the fridge temperature remotely, go to Walmart and buy a remote thermometer. It is only $9.24 (007239700782). This is a great tool. It shows the fridge temperature, the trailer interior temperature, and the max and min temperatures for the last 24 hours. It also shows the time (see photo below). The remote thermometer will allow you to monitor the fridge temperature continually without opening the door. It will allow you to determine the best setting for your fridge considering the changing outside temperature.

For the photo below, the fridge temperature is 37 degrees, the trailer interior temperature is 83 degrees and the time is 5:03.

This is a great tool. I wonder how I got along without it.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1000.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	192966  
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Photo of remote thermometer did not load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	192967  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I really want to thank Hoonanea for telling me about the remote thermometer that is available at Walmart. It was his idea.

Dan

« Norcold | Top | Warm wall »