Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Missing Manual - Need help

We have a 1984 25' Sovereign that we are taking out for the first time this weekend. I've been going over part after part making sure everything works. When I got to the fridge I realized I don't have a manual for it. Inside the fridge on the base there are directions but unfortunately over the years some of the directions have faded. When I have power to the trailer we get the green light at the base coming on beside a gas indicator and the light comes on inside. However the fridge never seems to get cold. I had the propane on checking the stove and oven, which work great, so I thought I would check the exterior panel and see if I could manually light the pilot. When I opened the panel, the gas indicator was off but the large vertical pipe on the left hand side was quite warm. Can anyone lend some advise to an fng? Thanks in advance. I have included a picture of the panel if it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp airstream dometic fridge.bmp (900.1 KB, 59 views)
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy67 View Post
We have a 1984 25' Sovereign that we are taking out for the first time this weekend. I've been going over part after part making sure everything works. When I got to the fridge I realized I don't have a manual for it. Inside the fridge on the base there are directions but unfortunately over the years some of the directions have faded. When I have power to the trailer we get the green light at the base coming on beside a gas indicator and the light comes on inside. However the fridge never seems to get cold. I had the propane on checking the stove and oven, which work great, so I thought I would check the exterior panel and see if I could manually light the pilot. When I opened the panel, the gas indicator was off but the large vertical pipe on the left hand side was quite warm. Can anyone lend some advise to an fng? Thanks in advance. I have included a picture of the panel if it helps.
I can't tell what model you have by your picture, but you can download most of the manuals directly from Dometic. EDIT: I can't seem to find the direct link for you, but here's a few other sights that might have your model listed:

Dometic refrigerators - Download Dometic Manuals

Dometic Refrigerator manuals, user manuals, owners manuals, how-to instructions and help.

Replacement chart

JB
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
If everything appears to be functioning, you may need to wait several hours for the fridge to actually get cold. They take a while going from warm to cold.

When getting ready for a trip, I usually fire up the fridge the night before.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I agree with Steve. Mine takes quite some time to get cold.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
However the fridge never seems to get cold.
How long did you let it run? They can take several hours to get cold. I usually let mine run overnite to get cold. Let it run overnite an if it's still not cold you may need to replace the cooling unit.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Yup, overnight usualy works.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
To check the gas side of the ref.

Go to the back and open the panel. With someone inside have them turn the ref on to gas operation. You should see the electronic ignite sparking, the cove is off your burner so you can see it without removing anything. If you have spark and then flame check if the flame is well formed and mostly blue. If you did not get a flame or if is misshappened or yellow in color shut down, remove the burner tube and check it for a spider nest inside.

Spiders are the most common burner problem. You may get a small but insufficient flame once they have moved in.

For the future get about 10 moth balls and put them in a sealable plastic bag. Poke about 20 holes in the bag with a straight pin and place the bag in behind the ref. The fumes will keep the spiders away and the moth balls will last all season

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Quick thank you

Thank you all for the quick responce. My wife and I will see what we can discover this evening. By the way the model is a Sovereign.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
But what model is the fridge? It should be stamped on a label somewhere.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
Silver Bullit

1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
It's late in the week - please forgive me

Now that I have pulled my head out, the model number of the fridge is RM763. The leaving overnight thing seems to have done the trick. Now I just have to confirm how to change over to gas. Am I correct in understanding the AS manual that as long as I'm plugged into my tow vehicle the electrical can be operated? I'm sure I read that the battery continues to charge itself as you are running down the road? Thanks again to everyone. With all of your help I once in awhile look like I know what I'm doing in front of my wife.

Tim
Old 07-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I found a manual for you. Hopefully it will help out>
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic 763_1303SM.pdf (267.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Now that I have pulled my head out, the model number of the fridge is RM763....With all of your help I once in awhile look like I know what I'm doing in front of my wife.

Tim

Here is a link to the manual

http://gasrefrigeration.net/dom_techdata/763_1303SM.PDF

Generally, the electric only works when connected to shore power or generator. Your tow vehicle will charge your battery but will not run electric. I'm not sure about this particular frig, but it should switch over automatically when going from propane to electric and back. You should checjk the manual to be sure.