Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Angry LP fridge gone from 2020’s

Hello all. New to forums. Looking at purchasing a new Caravel Or International Airstream. Wanted to poll this group on the deletion of LP fridges in anything less than a Globetrotter. Not even available as an option. It seems to me that the campers most likely to do more primitive camping are the smaller units. Any real fridge use would absolutely flatten batteries in a hot day. The generator recharge time would probably be several hours a day? Might as well use ice chests instead. Does this strike anyone here as making good sense?
Mack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I wouldn’t like it at all. For one thing we use the LP while traveling. Then there is the problem of when you want to boondock. I have a hard time believing they are going to eliminate the LP option. Makes no sense.

I did read on the airstream website they do run on battery while traveling. I do think that for boondocking that a solar system would be a must along with a generator.

The only plus is that using a battery while traveling would be safer than using LP. Maybe that’s their reasoning. It would be interesting to hear their logic.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack1 View Post
Hello all. New to forums. Looking at purchasing a new Caravel Or International Airstream. Wanted to poll this group on the deletion of LP fridges in anything less than a Globetrotter. Not even available as an option. It seems to me that the campers most likely to do more primitive camping are the smaller units. Any real fridge use would absolutely flatten batteries in a hot day. The generator recharge time would probably be several hours a day? Might as well use ice chests instead. Does this strike anyone here as making good sense?
What makes you believe the batteries would be flattened in a day?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack1 View Post
Welcome to the forum.
What makes you think there are no LP fridges in trailers less than 27'? A 2020 25' was sent out Friday that has a standard Dometic 2 way fridge where I work.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Regardless of which models get what fridge, indeed "no propane" fridges appear to be the future.

A lot depends on just how big a fridge we're talking about. Compressor current ratings seem to range from a bit under 3A to over 5A on bigger units. On all fridges, run time (propane, compressor, whatever ) varies depending on how hot it is out and how much air the back side gets. Typical sort of numbers are in the 30% to 70% range.

What's an unknown (at this point) is how much the control boards in the various models pull. The typical "propane" fridges pulled 1A on 12V all the time (yes, some pulled less). For now about all one can do is to assume they are same / same.

If the compressor is 3A (so 4A total) and 30% run, you doubled the draw of the old fridges. You now are around 50AH a day rather than 25. With a typical battery set giving you 80 to 100AH usable, you have two days of run time vs the old 4 days. Solar would help with this. Switching to bigger batteries also would help as well. It also could be a bit less than these numbers.

What you "loose" by going to the compressor is some of the concern for leveling the trailer. You also drop the propane usage, that never seemed to be a bit deal. You probably also get a fridge that does a bit better with limited ventilation. There also is less to go wrong.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
The 3 cubic foot NovaCool draws 2.1 amps running. It gets to a usable temp in 30 minutes and the temperature doesn’t rise with ambient temperature.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I don't have the specs, but it is my understanding that the new 2020 Globetrotter 30 has a 2-Way refrigerator (AC/DC), not a 3-Way.

One positive trade-off is there is no need for a vent for the propane, thus one less penetration thru the shell/skin.

Cheers,

Bryan
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I guess Airstream thinking is that people who buy their trailers use campgrounds with AC power and boondocking has gone out of style. I mean how can one live without AC power, right, we need to run our microwaves and AC units, coffee pots and waffle makers. The next to go will be the LP stove to electric induction stove. Let's face it ... electric is the future - cars, trucks and now trailers. I plan to carry 100 miles of extension cord so I can continue my Boondocking lifestyle. (sorry for the rant)
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Seems like a very short sided decision by Thor to this boondocker. I am rarely plugged in, and even with 400 watts of solar and 400 amps of Lithium ion I would be very reluctant to run my fridge on electric.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
I guess Airstream thinking is that people who buy their trailers use campgrounds with AC power and boondocking has gone out of style. I mean how can one live without AC power, right, we need to run our microwaves and AC units, coffee pots and waffle makers. The next to go will be the LP stove to electric induction stove. Let's face it ... electric is the future - cars, trucks and now trailers. I plan to carry 100 miles of extension cord so I can continue my Boondocking lifestyle. (sorry for the rant)
If that is ‘Airstream thinking” then why would they go with an AC model instead of AC/DC?
Old 11-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
Seems like a very short sided decision by Thor to this boondocker. I am rarely plugged in, and even with 400 watts of solar and 400 amps of Lithium ion I would be very reluctant to run my fridge on electric.
I guess I won’t trade my 2 group 24s and 180 watts solar then because they seem to run my compressor refrigerator fine for days.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Henderson , Kentucky
LP fridge gone

Our fridge (2018 signature) seems to work better on LP than battery!!
I think that’s a very bad move on the part of Airstream.
We boondocks a lot too And I know using the battery for that would be a huge drain.
gail lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Correction to my prior post.

Not much detail, but according the the "Specs" listing (not detailed) for the new Globetrotter 30, the refrigerator is described as: "12V Electric 10 cu. ft."

I'm really interested to see more specs, particularly as regards the power consumption.

Cheers,

Bryan
Old 11-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail lynne View Post
Our fridge (2018 signature) seems to work better on LP than battery!!
I think that’s a very bad move on the part of Airstream.
We boondocks a lot too And I know using the battery for that would be a huge drain.
How do you know?
Old 11-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I guess I won’t trade my 2 group 24s and 180 watts solar then because they seem to run my compressor refrigerator fine for days.

That’s great that it works well for you. I think you mentioned in another thread that lasting for days occurred while the trailer was not being actively used? If a non-propane fridge was feasibly for the type of camping we do at the typical campsite we stay at I would happy to have one also but the 4 cubic ft version draws more energy and most of the campsites we stay at are sunshine deficient. Lots of days we are lucky to get 15 Ah, which basically keeps the propane fridge running barely.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
Correction to my prior post.

Not much detail, but according the the "Specs" listing (not detailed) for the new Globetrotter 30, the refrigerator is described as: "12V Electric 10 cu. ft."

I'm really interested to see more specs, particularly as regards the power consumption.

Cheers,

Bryan
The specs are on Nova Kools website. These are not new and there is plenty of info on them.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I may have missed it, but I don't see a 10 cubic ft. 12v refrigerator on the Nova Cool website.

Are you certain that AS is using a Nova Cool in the 2020 Globetrotter 30?

Cheers,

Bryan
Old 11-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
C'mon

People "in the know" have seen the new refrigerators that run for a week at 35 degrees on one cup of unicorn poop. Where have you been?
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I may have missed it, but I don't see a 10 cubic ft. 12v refrigerator on the Nova Cool website.

Are you certain that AS is using a Nova Cool in the 2020 Globetrotter 30?

Cheers,

Bryan
Sorry about that. I wasn’t paying attention and missed the 30 foot part. Nova Cools biggest unit is a 9.2 and draws 5.2 amps when running. The only 10 cubic one I see is EVERCHILL. The specs for that just say 11 amps. ouch!

Did you call a dealer or Airstream about this? Maybe they don’t like to list things so they can change the source.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
That’s great that it works well for you. I think you mentioned in another thread that lasting for days occurred while the trailer was not being actively used? If a non-propane fridge was feasibly for the type of camping we do at the typical campsite we stay at I would happy to have one also but the 4 cubic ft version draws more energy and most of the campsites we stay at are sunshine deficient. Lots of days we are lucky to get 15 Ah, which basically keeps the propane fridge running barely.
The refrigerator was running at my storage facility for 4 days with partial sun. It was also in my driveway once for 5 days also partial sun. I’m not sure what constitutes active use. It had food and beer and was opened time to time to access both. Mostly for the beer.
Another big factor is the Model of Airstream. You have a 25 I believe. The absorption unit in the 25 might be great. I don’t recall reading any negatives about it. With the 16s the installation is not so great and leads to issues in high ambient temps and lots of waisted food.
So for the 16 foot models label me a fanboy and so far without any scientific testing it seems to operate flawlessly with no issues on power consumption.