Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC TORPEDO View Post
People "in the know" have seen the new refrigerators that run for a week at 35 degrees on one cup of unicorn poop. Where have you been?
They get better mileage at 39 f.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Ok. Thanks for your input. My personal experience is that the standard car hookup trickle charge is insufficient to overcome the amp draw from the fridge during a long day of traveling. That puts me into my site at the end of the day with a dead battery. I have thus gone to using propane while moving. I could install a dedicated heavy lead from my car battery back to the camper but this also necessitates installation of a relay to prevent draining the car battery while parked. To be fair, I am camping in warmer weather but I put drinks in a cooler to prevent having to open the fridge much. Ok Solar...bulky, expensive, requires sunny sites...not so good in summer. Pass. Even Jaco still makes 3 way fridges available in all their campers. Just saying! At this price point, it should be an option for the CUSTOMER who still wants to live off the Grid. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Mack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I’m confused. You can’t go back to using propane on a compressor fridge. Do you allready have a Caravell?
Old 11-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

pensacola , Florida
Recently bought a 2020 Flying Cloud 23FB. Refrigerator is gas and electric.
drano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Hilton Head Island , South Carolina
Our 2020 International 30 is about a month old and has a Dometic electric/propane refrigerator. Works well on either.
TerryHHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Huh. Now I’m confused. No I don’t have an Airstream yet. The 2020 brochures and website indicates only 2 way fridges in every model until the Globtrotter series. My salesman in Springfield MO confirms this. They were available in the 2019 models. I will call again on Monday to confirm again and report back here. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:23 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
I’m confused. You can’t go back to using propane on a compressor fridge. Do you allready have a Caravell?
Sorry for the confusion. My current camper (not an airstream) has a 3 way fridge. All my experience thus far is derived from operating this. I am researching for a new camper and my research is telling me the 2020 airstreams are going away from gas to 2 way electrics. Again, at this price point, I am confused why this is no longer optional. BTW, I have experience with Nova Cool units on sailboats. They are pretty good, but freezer plates are a better solution there unless the boat is quite small. Again, solar helps, but is no panacea. Of course propane is not an option there due to constant motion and heeling. Thanks for your input. I appreciate your comments.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
I think the confusion is there are two different types of 2-way refrigerators. One is a compressor fridge that can run on AC or DC like the fridges in the Caravel and Bambi lines. The second is an absorbtion fridge that can run on AC or Propane like the fridges in the Flying Cloud and International Serenity lines.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack1 View Post
Sorry for the confusion. My current camper (not an airstream) has a 3 way fridge. All my experience thus far is derived from operating this. I am researching for a new camper and my research is telling me the 2020 airstreams are going away from gas to 2 way electrics. Again, at this price point, I am confused why this is no longer optional. BTW, I have experience with Nova Cool units on sailboats. They are pretty good, but freezer plates are a better solution there unless the boat is quite small. Again, solar helps, but is no panacea. Of course propane is not an option there due to constant motion and heeling. Thanks for your input. I appreciate your comments.
It’s kinda confusing when looking at Airstreams sight as to why the absorption units are still offered on some models and not others. I know the absorption units always had trouble on some models due to the way they were installed. Maybe they still have a supply of absorption units they need to exhaust.
I’m not familiar with the 3 ways. How much do they draw on DC?
Old 11-04-2019, 05:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Mack1

I might have missed what size Airstream you are considering? I definitely would suggest searching refrigerator issues for the one you are looking at. I sound like a broken record but some models have constant issues with the absorption units. Mostly due to ventilation. All types of solutions like adding baffles and fans never seems to totally eliminate the issues in high ambient temps.
I get the boondocking concerns. However add a couple of fans to the fridge along with the 12 volt draw for the control panel and your getting close to what the Nova Kool draws at least in the 16 foot model.
Power consumption might be an issue for some depending on use. I think finding a solution to the power issue will be easier then solving the ventilation issues that plague some models.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:23 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Airstream is actually a bit late to the party on these fridges. Other outfits have been going this way for several years. Indeed if you dig into the ongoing Basecamp fridge issues, the compressor fridges seem to be “the answer”. Those trailers are most certainly targeted at off grid use.

Getting 4 weeks 😀 on the batteries / propane only really matters if you also can go 4 weeks on the water tanks. With normal “people loads” many models max out on a long weekend.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
DC Frig

The marine industry has used AC/DC refrigerators for years.

We “boondocked” aka anchored mote than we plugged in during our adventures, with no refrigeration issues. Managing battery capacity is the key.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpeahl View Post
The marine industry has used AC/DC refrigerators for years.

We “boondocked” aka anchored mote than we plugged in during our adventures, with no refrigeration issues. Managing battery capacity is the key.

That is primarily because propane can be very dangerous on a boat. We sail and find the marine refrigerators hard to keep at temperature and they use a lot of battery!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Ok. New info from Airstream. The Bambi and Caravels now have only 2 way (AC/DC) NovaCool compressor units. The Flying Clouds, Internationals have 2 Way (AC/LP) adsorption units. The Globetrotter and up use 3 Way Adsorption units. Nowhere in their new brochures or on website do they make the distinction on the 2 Way compressor vs Adsorption units. They are all referred to as 2 Way Fridges. So, the premise of this post for the Flying Cloud and International models is invalid. Thanks so much for helping me explore this issue. I appreciate all feedback. Perhaps a slight website change by Airstream would clarify the description.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Agreed
Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Mack1

I might have missed what size Airstream you are considering? I definitely would suggest searching refrigerator issues for the one you are looking at. I sound like a broken record but some models have constant issues with the absorption units. Mostly due to ventilation. All types of solutions like adding baffles and fans never seems to totally eliminate the issues in high ambient temps.
I get the boondocking concerns. However add a couple of fans to the fridge along with the 12 volt draw for the control panel and your getting close to what the Nova Kool draws at least in the 16 foot model.
Power consumption might be an issue for some depending on use. I think finding a solution to the power issue will be easier then solving the ventilation issues that plague some models.
Agreed
Old 11-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Austin Area , Texas
The AS web site is pitifully incomplete/inaccurate on many things. But they do list the refrigerators as "2-way Electric DC/AC" in the Caravel 16RB and 22FB floor plan comparison Specs…

“Refrigerator (2-way Electric DC/AC) 3.1 cu. ft. 4.3 cu. ft.”

https://www.airstream.com/travel-tra...lans=16rb,22fb
BeSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Deal breaker!

Lack of a LP capacity fridge would be a deal breaker for many, like us, who like 'off grid' options.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Not to mention running on propane when you are traveling. I know some don’t but most of us do. Nice not to worry about your food spoiling during a long transit.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Airstream is actually a bit late to the party on these fridges. Other outfits have been going this way for several years. Indeed if you dig into the ongoing Basecamp fridge issues, the compressor fridges seem to be “the answer”. Those trailers are most certainly targeted at off grid use.

Getting 4 weeks 😀 on the batteries / propane only really matters if you also can go 4 weeks on the water tanks. With normal “people loads” many models max out on a long weekend.

Bob

Forgive my ignorance. I have read the Basecamp fridge issues thread and other fridge issues threads and still have a silly question to which there is a really good answer from someone with patience for a 'dull tool' like me.

Compressor fridges run on AC/DC meaning 120voltAC/12voltDC? No LP used?

Then, '2 way' fridges run AC/LP or DC/LP? Or, ?

Three way fridges run on AC/DC/LP?

As mentioned earlier AS is not real clear on this and seems they should/could be for the price point.

Thanks to the person who is willing to 'school' me.