Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Norco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I used RVrefrigeration.net but that was years ago so no idea on prices now. The Amish use absorption refrigerators so there are lots of rebuilding outfits out there.

Mike
Adsorption, with a "d". Nit-picky, I know. I seem to remember that the second unit I bought was made by the Amish.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
Thanks fast.eddie I'm printing that info to save. We actually got a call back from a guy with an rm100 on craigslist. It looks rough on the back but we are gonna see if we can get it to work for now till we can get ours going. It doesn't have a circut board apparently, just a bunch of relays and junction boxes and manual switches. So hopefully it will get us through till we get the 500-600 for ours. Thanks for all the info guys. Just when I think I understand this refrigerator I learn a ton more!

Old 01-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Norco , California
One other thing I might mention is that it is critical that the refrigerator be level during operation. The shelf that is attached to the CU coil as it enters the freezer compartment needs to be level in all directions to avoid permanently damaging the reefer. Incidentally, this is the coldest part of the CU and a good place to check for cooling.

The RM1303 reefers had a mid-model revision that was supposed to make them more forgiving to out of level operation, and you can visually identify which model you have by the shape of something...I think it is the heat shield in the heating area??? I'm guessing. Anyway, my box is in a 1985 model coach and it was the later (more tolerant) version. I've operated ours out of level for short periods of time, but be aware that this can cause permanent damage to the reefer.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Got to love auto correct.
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
The rm100 today was a bust. No 12v function. We found a rm760 but I can't find anything confirming the 12v setting other than a schematic but I found the same thing for the 100 and then it didn't have it. Like at all. He's gonna fool with ours more. It's out of the camper in his shop. He's going to try burping it again and doing some hokey pokey then leveling it and trying again. The camper is a 1984. I'm assuming since everything is original except the toilet that the fridge is original too. We have a regular mini fridge we can use in the mean time. Thanks again for all the tips and info.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:53 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Norco , California
I'm no refrigeration guru but there is an area with hydrogen in the CU. Hydrogen is the smallest atom so it is not too hard to imagine the H2 gas leaking out over time from an opening that is too small for the anhydrous ammonia molecule to escape. The ammonia and water solution must still be present, because you can hear the ammonia boiling off and there are no visible leaks or smells...must be the hydrogen has leaked out. That's my pet theory as to why our first CU failed so quickly.