Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Burnham , Pennsylvania
Lighting a 1960 Dometic refer?

Can anyone explain to me (like I' m a 6 year old) how you light a Dometic refer in a 1960 airstream? Gas only.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Read this:
Klixon

Take one of those butane matches ( the long lighters) and hold the flame under the rear left corner (when in front of the fridge) which is under the burner assembly. Look at the picture of the burner and you will see where to hold the flame. Do this while holding the red button on the gas line down. after you here it click let go of the red button. This is how I light a 1959 Dometic that we have. From memory, if I missed something I hope someone will correct me or add to what I posted.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
trailerlubber

1961 24' Tradewind
cedarville , California
Send a message via Skype™ to arreche1
Smile Just lit my fridge for first time in over 45 years!

Mine is a 1961 Norcold, but here goes. I just lit this thing for the first time in probably over 45 years or so, and she works like a charm! It was very confusing for everyone that looked at it, so I am going to try to explain it, in case someone else out there has the same problem.

First of all, mine is 110 or propane. I am missing the 110 heating element, if ANYONE knows where I can get one, I will gladly pay!

But the good news is, the propane works fine!

My control knob and propane line is in the lower left hand corner. My control knob only had 0 through 8, I just left it about 2, (I don't know that it matters where it is)
Then I found the little red button and held it in, (MAN WAS IT HARD! Stiff from not being using for so long, made my thumbs sore.) I waved my little butane match just beyond that button and the weirdest thing happened, I heard this "sucking" noise, and low and behold the fire was sucked into a tube just beyond the little red button, next thing I know the whole tube lit up like a top burner on a stove lights up, It scared me at first, but I could tell by the little holes it was suppose to do this. The little blue flames traveled all the way from the front of the fridge, to the back of the fridge, (all along the left hand side wall) and then made a 90 degree up, it looked like the whole dang thing would burn down, but after about 5 attempts of holding it down as long as my thumbs could take, FINALLY a little round burner lit at the top of this pipe, (probably 8" up from the floor.) It looked like a teeny little stove burner. When I let go of the red, it went out about 3 times, FINALLY after about the 4th go round, it stayed lit and whoosh, the burner within the tube started. I was blown away, I have never seen anything like this in my life, it was cool! The furnace has the same little "teeny burner" looking thing for a pilot. After a good cleaning, I was able to get it going as well. Very simple! No computer boards! And everything was cold within 3 hours, (most of my other RV fridges would take a good 10 to 24 hours to get cold. I AM IMPRESSED!

Anyway, I don't know if yours is anything close to mine, but maybe somebody out there has one like mine? I would really like to have the 110 element for summer when I am parked at work.

Good luck, if all else fails, call a gas man and they will come light it for a fee.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
My 1966 Dometic frig quit because the heating element died and I called a mobile repair guy for RVs, he got the serial number from the lower front of the frig. Then he called his shop, ordered a new heating element and a week later put it in and everything works fine now.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
trailerlubber

1961 24' Tradewind
cedarville , California
Send a message via Skype™ to arreche1
can i get his number?

Wow! Do you think you can give me the name and number of your service man, maybe, just maybe, he can order me one, that would be great, I would be so happy!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I'll send it to you in a PM

Tags