Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
shickshinny , Pennsylvania
level fridge ?

Reading in threads that the frige should be level before starting...so that means you cant use it while driving on propane. or with an inverter....right? or wrong?
LanceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Wrong. You can use your refer underway. Lots and lots has been said about wether you should use propane while driving, but that is a seperate issue. If you want to read more than you ever wanted to know on the subject just use the search feature or scan the refer section. FWIW: I often keep mine running while on the road during the hotter times of the year. If you do this, remember you MUST turn it off before entering gas stations and not turn it back on untill you have left the fueling area.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I regularly run the fridge on gas on the road. But if you have a short hop of a couple hours or less, probably won't melt the ice cream if it is off. I'm a fireman and have never heard of a gas station fire started by a running fridge although in theory it is possible.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I'm a fireman and have never heard of a gas station fire started by a running fridge although in theory it is possible.
As a former firefighter/medic, I have no desire to be that historic first case....All joking aside though, I would rate running a refer while fueling to be like smoking there. Why risk it?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Regarding the fridge's flame and gasoline: it's going to be 12-20 feet away from the fueling point. If you're generating an explosive or flammable vapor while you're fueling (unless you're one of those ditzy dames that just "has" to get back in the car and rub her rayon-covered butt across the plastic seat cover while the fuel is pouring into her gas tank, generating more static electricity than a dozen cats), I'd think your nose would be telling you to stop long before the cloud got to the fridge. I'm more concerned about the guy who pulls into the station in his old truck with holes in the muffler. Or those who pull in to the station while smoking.

There are so many inadvertent sources of ignition in the everyday life of a gas station that shutting down your fridge (do you do it 1 block away, 100 feet away, after you arrive at the station [and near others who are in the act of fueling]?) probably doesn't reduce the risk level at all.

Zep
Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Yes, you can use your fridge while driving. Damage happens when a non-level fridge completely evaporates the working fluid and the tilt of the fridge prevents the condensing fluid from getting back into the evaporator. When you're driving, the motion/bouncing of the trailer always "sloshes" fluid back to where it needs to be.

The damage results because the total evaporation of the working fluid creates crystals of one of the components (can't recall which) and once the crystals form they cannot be dissolved.

I just wish someone would publish the no-kidding real alloable tilt angles. Is it 1 degree, 5 degrees, or 15 degrees?

Zep
Old 06-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Zep, Zep, Zep...Sigh

Your example is true if you are the only one refueling. In todays gasoline marts and truck stops, your refer's open flame may be a substantially safe distance away from "your' fueling point but right next to someone elses fueling point. The real danger is a fuel spill from that adjacent vehicle (when the nozzle doesn't trip itself off for example) followed by a river of gasoline under your Airstream, followed by ignition from your refer, followed by... well you know the rest.

Everything you say is true, but why take the risk or encourage anybody else to take the risk?

You may return fire when ready, Gridley.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium

I just wish someone would publish the no-kidding real alloable tilt angles. Is it 1 degree, 5 degrees, or 15 degrees?

Zep
And in which Axis? Trailer Fore/Aft or trailer Port/ Starbord?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
And in which Axis? Trailer Fore/Aft or trailer Port/ Starbord?
If you have an older fridge (original? in your case) you must be bubble level.
Newer fridges, the camper must be level enough for comfortable living.

Don't ask how I know this...

Bill
Old 06-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I guess the question on the table is
"How level is level?"
I have a precision level for equipment setup that would be overkill, assuming there is a standard location on the fridge to check for level...

In looking at the design, I wouild suspect the units would be more sensitive to trailer fore/aft but I could also make a good argument for the other axis.

Anyone seen published info?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I always carry a ice chest in the front seat with me, that way when I need a beer I just reach over and pop one. Having to pull over and get one out of the trailer wouls cut into my ETA to the campsite. I keep the fridge stocked with BUB (back up beer) for when I get where I'm going. But I'm half a bubble off anyho.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
I guess the question on the table is
"How level is level?"
I have a precision level for equipment setup that would be overkill, assuming there is a standard location on the fridge to check for level...

In looking at the design, I wouild suspect the units would be more sensitive to trailer fore/aft but I could also make a good argument for the other axis.

Anyone seen published info?
It's here somewhere; Refrigerators — Dometic USA
or
Service Documents
Old 06-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The older the unit the more critical it is to be level. Level means to all sides and the earlier posts describe what happens if you aren't level.

Supposedly the newer fridges are more tolerant of level and the word I've heard is "if you are comfortable with the level of your trailer when you are inside, it's ok for the refrigerator".

Normally you can check the level of the fridge with a bubble level where the bubble is in a central position and will show all directions. The bottom of the freezer compartment is a pretty good spot to check (assuming the bottom is flat). Once you get the trailer level, front to back and side to side, according to that level in the freezer, you can mount an external level on the outside of the trailer that will reflect level (if you don't have one there already or don't know if the outside level is accurate).

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
FYI the most analytical unit I've seen so far to describe "level" is a round type bubble level, in the center of the freezer compartment floor, must have at least 3/4 of the bubble in the ring.
I was hoping there was a more defined specification.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
As a former firefighter/medic, I have no desire to be that historic first case....All joking aside though, I would rate running a refer while fueling to be like smoking there. Why risk it?
Or my personal favorite, people that talk on their cellphones while fueling.
rambn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
FYI the most analytical unit I've seen so far to describe "level" is a round type bubble level, in the center of the freezer compartment floor, must have at least 3/4 of the bubble in the ring.
I was hoping there was a more defined specification.
Here is a link to one.

Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Pretty much what has been said. Comfy for new, level for older units.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
shickshinny , Pennsylvania
Thanks to all for answering my question... After being very stupid at 19 and steam burning off 1/2 my skin from calf to ear on the right side of body (took a radiator cap off a overheated personell carrier with the toe of my boot) I was a long time recovering. Lesson: better safe then sorry is well learned. I opt to not refuel with an open flame anywhere near.....if I can remember! Lance
LanceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Installed a new Norcold (model 510). The manual said 3 degrees tolerance, curb side to street side of the TT (front to back, back to front of the fridge), and 6 degrees the other way.

Also been talking with the local dealer, where I bought the fridge (new fridge needing new parts - for the third time - they haven't figured out what is wrong – go figure). With limited level tolerances, traveling with the fridge working on gas can cause it to lock up, as no road is built with the idea of staying within the 3 degree thing for RV’ers. The service dept. says they fix about 2 units per season that have had this happen.

I recently read a thread here where the tanks came loose and would have caused a fire if the tanks were turned on and in use.

The service guy was very much against using the fridge while in transport.

Is it really worth the risk? Is it really that important to run the fridge in transport? If it is, maybe the use of ice (dry or otherwise) would be better.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
Installed a new Norcold (model 510). The manual said 3 degrees tolerance, curb side to street side of the TT (front to back, back to front of the fridge), and 6 degrees the other way.

Also been talking with the local dealer, where I bought the fridge (new fridge needing new parts - for the third time - they haven't figured out what is wrong – go figure). With limited level tolerances, traveling with the fridge working on gas can cause it to lock up, as no road is built with the idea of staying within the 3 degree thing for RV’ers. The service dept. says they fix about 2 units per season that have had this happen.

I recently read a thread here where the tanks came loose and would have caused a fire if the tanks were turned on and in use.

The service guy was very much against using the fridge while in transport.

Is it really worth the risk? Is it really that important to run the fridge in transport? If it is, maybe the use of ice (dry or otherwise) would be better.
Any "good" reefer can operate considerably off level for 15 to 20 minutes without locking up.

Thousands of Airstreamers do that all the time, without a problem.

Traveling with the gas on, is OK, except when in a tunnel. You are supposed to make sure everything on your trailer is secure, including the LPG bottles. Thousands of Airstreamers do that too.

For that matter, if the bottles were shut off, and they came loose and hit the ground, you still could have a fire or explosion.

Sounds like the service guy doesn't know much about RVing, or Airstreaming.

Gosh, if we should worry about what "could" happen with the LPG system, then perhaps we should also worry about the other fools on the highways, that "could" hit us head on. They are by far, a greater hazard than a secure LPG system could ever be.

Have things secure, keep the running gear properly balanced (so that you don't shake things loose), and enjoy your Airstream with your family and friends.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote