Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
As a former firefighter/medic, I have no desire to be that historic first case....All joking aside though, I would rate running a refer while fueling to be like smoking there. Why risk it?
Or my personal favorite, people that talk on their cellphones while fueling.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
FYI the most analytical unit I've seen so far to describe "level" is a round type bubble level, in the center of the freezer compartment floor, must have at least 3/4 of the bubble in the ring.
I was hoping there was a more defined specification.
Here is a link to one.

Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Pretty much what has been said. Comfy for new, level for older units.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
shickshinny , Pennsylvania
Thanks to all for answering my question... After being very stupid at 19 and steam burning off 1/2 my skin from calf to ear on the right side of body (took a radiator cap off a overheated personell carrier with the toe of my boot) I was a long time recovering. Lesson: better safe then sorry is well learned. I opt to not refuel with an open flame anywhere near.....if I can remember! Lance
Old 06-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Installed a new Norcold (model 510). The manual said 3 degrees tolerance, curb side to street side of the TT (front to back, back to front of the fridge), and 6 degrees the other way.

Also been talking with the local dealer, where I bought the fridge (new fridge needing new parts - for the third time - they haven't figured out what is wrong – go figure). With limited level tolerances, traveling with the fridge working on gas can cause it to lock up, as no road is built with the idea of staying within the 3 degree thing for RV’ers. The service dept. says they fix about 2 units per season that have had this happen.

I recently read a thread here where the tanks came loose and would have caused a fire if the tanks were turned on and in use.

The service guy was very much against using the fridge while in transport.

Is it really worth the risk? Is it really that important to run the fridge in transport? If it is, maybe the use of ice (dry or otherwise) would be better.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
Installed a new Norcold (model 510). The manual said 3 degrees tolerance, curb side to street side of the TT (front to back, back to front of the fridge), and 6 degrees the other way.

Also been talking with the local dealer, where I bought the fridge (new fridge needing new parts - for the third time - they haven't figured out what is wrong – go figure). With limited level tolerances, traveling with the fridge working on gas can cause it to lock up, as no road is built with the idea of staying within the 3 degree thing for RV’ers. The service dept. says they fix about 2 units per season that have had this happen.

I recently read a thread here where the tanks came loose and would have caused a fire if the tanks were turned on and in use.

The service guy was very much against using the fridge while in transport.

Is it really worth the risk? Is it really that important to run the fridge in transport? If it is, maybe the use of ice (dry or otherwise) would be better.
Any "good" reefer can operate considerably off level for 15 to 20 minutes without locking up.

Thousands of Airstreamers do that all the time, without a problem.

Traveling with the gas on, is OK, except when in a tunnel. You are supposed to make sure everything on your trailer is secure, including the LPG bottles. Thousands of Airstreamers do that too.

For that matter, if the bottles were shut off, and they came loose and hit the ground, you still could have a fire or explosion.

Sounds like the service guy doesn't know much about RVing, or Airstreaming.

Gosh, if we should worry about what "could" happen with the LPG system, then perhaps we should also worry about the other fools on the highways, that "could" hit us head on. They are by far, a greater hazard than a secure LPG system could ever be.

Have things secure, keep the running gear properly balanced (so that you don't shake things loose), and enjoy your Airstream with your family and friends.

Andy
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Andy,
You are a good guy, but sometimes you confuse me: are you the same Andy making a stand for safety in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/tires-tires-tires-16506-3.html?

I'm no expert - that's why I have to depend on the installation and owners manual from the manufacturer of the product and hope to gain proper knowledge by talking with the people who are the 'supposed' experts. And when the ‘experts’ exert themselves, and are proved to be wrong – well people like me, in an effort to keep from being taken advantage of, become a little skeptical.

That said, as far as the fridge lock-up thing goes, I guess it, in part, depends on where you live: if the flat plains make up your neck-of-the-woods, then I guess you don't need more than 15-20 minutes of grace without the "good" reefer locking up. In my neck of the woods, where roads follow rivers and ridges and are far from level, the dynamics change: to get to the good places you could be climbing or descending a steep (6-8 %) grade for hours.

Lastly, I have also been told that there are only two choices of ‘reefers’, Dometic and Norcold. So, what make is the ‘good reefer’? My experience with Norcold, thus far, is 100 percent bad.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,
You are a good guy, but sometimes you confuse me: are you the same Andy making a stand for safety in http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/tires-tires-tires-16506-3.html?

I'm no expert - that's why I have to depend on the installation and owners manual from the manufacturer of the product and hope to gain proper knowledge by talking with the people who are the 'supposed' experts. And when the ‘experts’ exert themselves, and are proved to be wrong – well people like me, in an effort to keep from being taken advantage of, become a little skeptical.

That said, as far as the fridge lock-up thing goes, I guess it, in part, depends on where you live: if the flat plains make up your neck-of-the-woods, then I guess you don't need more than 15-20 minutes of grace without the "good" reefer locking up. In my neck of the woods, where roads follow rivers and ridges and are far from level, the dynamics change: to get to the good places you could be climbing or descending a steep (6-8 %) grade for hours.

Lastly, I have also been told that there are only two choices of ‘reefers’, Dometic and Norcold. So, what make is the ‘good reefer’? My experience with Norcold, thus far, is 100 percent bad.
As long as the trailer is in motion, the off level does not matter. You can tow that way for hours without any ill effects. Why? Because the motion is keeping the ammonia/water solution moving. When the off level "does" matter, is when the trailer is stationary.

Dometic and Norcold are very good brands of reefers.

Perhaps the shop is the problem?

Wouldn't be the first, or the last time.

Andy
Old 06-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Thanks Andy.

Interestingly enough, I looked up the owners manual online (N500 Series).

On page four (lower right column) it has a section called 'leveling', which is where it says 3 degrees off-level side-to-side, 6 degrees off-level front to back. Just below that it states: "Operation During Travel: While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected."

So, it looks like they endorse the use/operation of the reefer during travel, and clause themselves out of liability with a 'not usually effected' statement.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy.

Interestingly enough, I looked up the owners manual online (N500 Series).

On page four (lower right column) it has a section called 'leveling', which is where it says 3 degrees off-level side-to-side, 6 degrees off-level front to back. Just below that it states: "Operation During Travel: While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected."

So, it looks like they endorse the use/operation of the reefer during travel, and clause themselves out of liability with a 'not usually effected' statement.
It's nice to have a post quoting a manufacturer.

In this case, what I said is not an opinion, but fact.

What your service man said, was an opinion, not fact.

I am sure your findings will now allow you to enjoy your Airstreaming, even more.

Andy
Old 06-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
reefers and tunnels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Traveling with the gas on, is OK, except when in a tunnel.

Andy
That's a new one on me. Is this a law, or a safety procedure? If a law I would guess it varies from state to state.

Also, another post above mentioned using a cell phone near a gas pump. I will bet a buck there has never been a case of a cell phone starting a gas pump fire
Old 06-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
That's a new one on me. Is this a law, or a safety procedure? If a law I would guess it varies from state to state.

Also, another post above mentioned using a cell phone near a gas pump. I will bet a buck there has never been a case of a cell phone starting a gas pump fire
Marshall, I wish I had my Commercial Road Atlas handy. My son is at the drive-in with his fiance and he has my truck. That Atlas lists a number of tunnels which forbid any LPG tank to be turned on while going through the tunnel. The Holland Tunnel comes to mind. I know that other forum members have this atlas because comments have been made about locations, by State, of low bridges. Maybe someone else has one available to give some of those locations.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote